I Forge Iron

New guy in Las Vegas, NV

Earthquake

Hi my name is Casey and I live in Las Vegas.

I am tring to set up a small Blacksmith shop in my back yard to make knives and do some other blacksmith work, I am in the process of building a forge...

imgp1737o.jpg

The base is made from 3/8" plate and the sides are 1/8" plate, I am using a fan motor from a air hockey table I got off of E-bay, same with the tuyere. I am tring to find a hand crank fan but have not found one yet. I am looking for a foot switch to turn the fan off and on so I dont need to use my hands. I was thinking about lining it with refractory cement, do you think it needs it?

I have a couple of ASO's I bought one before I knew much about them and a friend of mine dad gave me the other one. The one I bought is a 110 pound-er that is cast steel, its one of the ones from Russia with the diagonal Hardy hole, I am thinking about making a high carbon steel cap for the 55lb cast iron anvil and brazing it on around the edges while the surface is still straight...

imgp1738c.jpg

I also have a PEXTO stake my uncle gave me...

imgp1736p.jpg

I made a stake holder out of a brake drum for a semi truck, I was going to use it to make my forge but I think it would have been too deep.

I am a welder/fabrcator and I used to run the water jet machine at the shop I was working untill they had to close there doors, I like to make my own tools and this made making them and other things easy.

I am looking for a good anvil but they dont show much here in Vegas. I will be using lump charcoal because its hard to get coal here in town and I think its illegal to burn it here anyways.

Are there any guys on the forum that are in Vegas?

Hopefully I will be up ad running here soon, I have a jack hammer point that is dieing to become a knife.

Casey

Welcome to I Forge Iron,  We have a few members from your area, and last I heard using coal is a problem there. Charcoal should be fine, just keep a package of hot dogs near by in case code enforcement shows up. :)  but I have been wrong before. there are always gas forges later on if you get really serious about it.

I wont say I'm newbie to blacksmithing but I dont know a lot,  I was working with this Russian named Boris when he came to the shop I used to work at, [universal Brass] He was a master blacksmith. This was in the late 90's, he got xxxxxx xxx at the guy running the shop and moved to San Diego but I learned a little working with him. He had a 100lb "Little Giant" power hammer that would do a days work, I made a few sets of custom door handles with it, I was the Brake and shear guy in the shop for 10 years and then I started running the waterjet machine it was a lot of fun, I also did some machine work using the lathe and mill for the company.

Like I said I like to make my own tools when I can, I built a English Wheel and modified a Harbor freight bead roller while working the WJ machine, they let me do just about any thing I wanted to when we were not busy...

Here's my English wheel...

imgp0282j.jpg

It was not quite done yet

Here is my Bead roller that started life as a Harbor Freight unit...

imgp0279rk.jpg

I cut a new frame from 3/4" steel plate and replaced the hand crank with the aluminum hand wheel.

I made a VW engine stand...

imgp02422.jpg

I had it painted by a guy that did some of the painting for the shop.

I designed a few parts for old VW's and sold a few [i wish I had acess to the WJ now, I have guys that want some of the stainless parts I was making]

I hope they start a new shop soon so I can go back to work.

Sorry to sound like I'm bragging,

Casey

Hey Earthquake,

I am out in Moapa Valley, but get into Fabulous Las Vegas most weekends. I started smithing when I was back in CA. Currently the tool maker for a shop in LaVerkin Utah, and had my own shop years ago.

Tim McCoy is in Las Vegas, and I have been helping him out as he has been getting set up at his house.

I can get coal out of Utah, last I checked it was $130 a ton. I have been thinking of getting a load, so if you would like some I can pick it up at the same time.