I Forge Iron

Chimney Question

I have a brake drum forge on a fabricated rolling cart.  I am thinking about making a sidedraft hood with chimney so that I can wheel the cart just outside my carport and smoke wont blow back in.  My question is regarding the chimney itself.  Is it ok to use the sheet metal tubing you can get at home depot?   It is galvanized.  My plan was to bolt the hood to the cart and make it where I can just set the 8ft sheet metal duct pipe into the hood once I had it in the proper position.  

Probably.... Chimney or hood should not get so hot it vaporized  galvanizing (zink coating) to cause it send off toxic gasses... For galvanizing  to be a problem it has to approach red heat, and if you chimney or hood or chimney pipe is getting that  hot, you have other problems...

http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/159-zinc-galvanized-and-coatings/

Dale

that is not in any way a side draft.  There are terms that have a very definate meaning,  misusing them can be confusing for everyone.   As you read up, you will understadnd why you need more than 6 inch pipe for a flue.  its not to hard, you will figure it out :) Welcome to I Forge Iron

that is not in any way a side draft.  There are terms that have a very definate meaning,  misusing them can be confusing for everyone.   As you read up, you will understadnd why you need more than 6 inch pipe for a flue.  its not to hard, you will figure it out :) Welcome to I Forge Iron

Not sure if you are referring to my post or not.  I am planning on making a " Super Sucker" side draft hood and then stick the galv pipe on the top of it.  I want to use a 12 inch pipe hence why i wanted to see if i can get away with the light/cheap sheet metal duct pipe they sell at Home Depot.