I Forge Iron

Considering a Gas forge build

plane_crazzy

I have been thinking about building or buying a gas forge for a while. I have read Porter's book as well as the volumes of information available here. Looking at the cost of premade units I have decided I would rather build one myself.  I was thinking about a angle iron frame with sheet metal panels. The inside being lined on the sides and top with soft brick and the bottom being hard brick.  For most of my work I think a single burner would be sufficient but was considering making it a two burner because I do have some fairly long twists and bends. Advice while I am still in the design phase? Also I have the detailed plans in the book for building the venturi burners themselves, are they worth the hassle of building yourself or is it worth buying the premade burner assemblies? Any Help is always appreciated. Thanks

I think it is well worth building them yourself, unless you are really pushed for time.  The burners are really not all that hard to make, and you will save a bunch of money, and understand the guts of the forge much better.  Hard to say whether to use one or two burners, as it is a very individual choice, based on your anticipated use.  I use a one-burner for most of my work, and only occasionally wish I had two.  Some people say the commercial burners run hotter, and that may be true, but my homemade ones run plenty hot for me, welding heat not hard to accomplish.  Good luck, and have fun!

After building three gas forges, my recommendation would be to design and build them in such a way that modifications or repairs are made easily.  For example, you want to be able to easily replace the lining, bricks, or other parts of the forge when the need arises.  Your design plan sounds good, but I would recommend finding the thickest sheet metal you can for the sides of the forge.  I wouldn't go any less than 1/16 unless that's all you have.  The heat from the forge, even with the insulating firebrick, could be enough to warp a thin piece of sheet metal on the outside.  I've built both square and round body forges, and I personally prefer the square body.  I've found them to be a little easier to build and a little more versatile to use.  I would definitely incorporate some sort of pass through in the back of your forge so you can heat longer stock.  That one feature can allow you to work any part of a long piece of steel in a small one burner forge.  In regards to burners, I would definitely try to make your own if you have the tools for it.  I've made two different types of atmospheric burners, the Reil EZ burner and a mini-mongo burner.  I prefer the mini mongo as it's easier and cheaper to make, but also offers more control over the flame.  If you are interested in building one I can give you a more detailed list of the exact parts, tools, and procedures you need to make one.  Good luck as you move forward with your forge build, you'll learn a lot as you go.

Thanks CD that would be much appreciated. and yeah... anything less than 1/4" I think of as sheet metal.. I was figuring between 16ga and 1/8th" I kinda like the designs that weld U-Channel on the front and back and have hard bricks standing on end that you can slide together or open so you have the ability to manipulate your openings.

I follow this section and have for alot of years,,,,from this I see a trend: a lot of folks build gassers,,some of them work,,,some work after alot of tinkering,,some of them work and the user does not know it..some of them don't work and the user does not know it.  Some folks try and build a forge with out shop skills or tools needed.  A lot of new biulders get a set of plans for a workable forge and make enough changes to the plans that the forge does not work.

Some of the problems I have typed take months to resolve..if they get resolved. For a new smith it may be an issue of whether you have the skills and tools and can apply them with discipline to completion.

May also worth a look at whether it is simply best for you to buy a working forge and start smithing...as opposed to the time it will take to get going later on.