I Forge Iron

Power hammer dies?

There was a post a month ago or so about a sculptor who had stopped by Macbruces 

shop ,with photos of his die system .I'm trying to build a few sets and was interested in 

how they were made and what material ie tool steel .I have built a few recently with mild 

steel for  hot work ,but they are giving out. Any thoughts . Thanks  

4140 is the most common steel to use for dies for forging hammers.  For cold work I would go with S1, S5, S7.  It really depends on how much work you do and how much you want to spend on steel.  In a hobby shop I would stick with 4140.  Almost any kind of hardenable steel will work better than mild steel.  I have had good luck with old forklift blades as a scrap source of steel for dies.

There was a post a month ago or so about a sculptor who had stopped by Macbruces 

shop ,with photos of his die system.

I can't recall what thread that was or who it was but this I do remember.......http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/30169-flat-dies-vs-dovetail-dies/   (post 31) Allot of my best dies are a mystery as well as far as what they're made of... :huh: but they were something 'good' I found at salvage yards usually and I got lucky heat treating them....A bunch wound up in the pile too. Mild steel dies are great if you're gonna build up the face(s) with weld(s) for texture.

Always heat treat before you weld the die(s) to the base plate. Curve the base plate slightly before you weld. If you don't counteract weld shrinkage before welding the flanges will pull up and the die will rock, better to have it a tad concave on the bottom than convex because at least it will sit flat.

• 10 months later...