I Forge Iron

steel coatings?

a friend of mine brought me some scrap 3/4" round about 18" long steel he said was used to make ladder steps for fire escape type ladders and a couple other pieces of flat.  i noticed it looked like it was coated with something.  it is blueish color and i can see where it looks to have flaked off in small places .  is this possibly a harmful coating most everything i have used up till now has had red rust on it and this is new stuff, but it is not grey like the stock you see at the stores.   thanks

Hi,

could be anything from paint to galvanizing (Zinc coating) so be very careful with it.  Burning of simple paint releases some nasty stuff but burning off zinc in a confined space can be fatal.  If you do want to burn the coating off do it outside and stay upwind of it.

5 gallon pail and a gallon of muratic acid - pour some water in the pail, add the acid, put in the piece of mystery metal.  Muratic eats of galvanized coating quite nicely - it might eat off your mystery coating as well.

if it is some sort of plastic coating heating it or burning it off could produce vynal chloride gas, putting an unknown into hydrochloric acid could produce hydrogen chloride gas, acid reacting with metal can produce hydrogen gas.  If it is not too much trouble could all you scratch and sniff chemists out there take out large life insurance policies in my name.  Thanks in advance.  :rolleyes: