I Forge Iron

Anvil Id

I scored an anvil that has two very small prichard holes, approx
.375", 150# max no step and a much wider horn than my Trenton. It does have a Hardy hole. Centaour forge Germany. When I find my digital cam I will post image
Is this a ferrier tool?

Thank you very much
Filo

This anvil was sold by Centaur Forge in Burlington WI. Made in Sweden by Kohlswa. My 1st anvil was a 100# Kohlswa with the Kohlswa name on it, not Centaur. It was a good lil anvil but there was a batch of these Centaur ones that were a bit on the soft side. Not all, just the one batch as I have heard it. The face on yours looks great so I expect it is one of the good ones.

In 1960 when the Swedish-American Steel Co. stopped importing Kohlswa anvils, Centaur Forge added them to their product line. Centaur had Kohlswa start producing a Farriers Anvil to Centaurs design and with Centaurs name on it, it was a 125 lb anvil. In the 1980's smiths who purchased these anvils started complaining that the faces were soft and Centaur discontinued the Kohlswa Anvils in 1990. They still have anvils made in Europe but now from Germany.

• 2 years later...
Well it was Sweden not Germany, and Centaur not Centaour, sorry.
Is ther a Burlington WI.?

Thanks Again
Filo

Nice Anvil you have.
I have the same exact anvil in new condition.
My Dad just gave it to me after many years of asking for it.

This one has this casted in:
CENTAUR
Burlington
WISO
COMPANY
MADE IN SWEDEN
M2066

Welcome aboard Rashand, glad to have you.

Nice score, be sure to make your Father something nice on your new anvil, maybe lots of somethings nice. One good thing about parents and relatives, they're good places to gift practice pieces. It's not like they can say no, that's really hideous, get it awaaaaaay from me! ;)

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. Also if local folk know you're around they can invite you to gatherings, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty

• 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...