I Forge Iron

Hand forged copper skillets with tinned interiors

yesteryearforge

Those look REALLY nice Mike!  People will buy those for the decorative value whether they ever cook in them or not!  The one handle has a bit of a spindly look to it in the pics though maybe it is fine when you can touch it.  They'd really look good in an old cabin or country themed cottage!  With a nice forged J-hook to hang from!

First

You need to make sure the T- Shirt is 100 % cotton.

My first attempt was with a T-Shirt that must have had some polyester in it  ( didn't allow the flux to absorb into the cloth fully )

First you flux the inside ( and dampen the cloth with flux also.

Should probally wear gloves but I didnt

Then you heat the vessel until the Tin starts to melt and spread it around with the cloth ( its almost like washing the pan with the Tin :)

Since I have started making skillets I have considered copper ones also. You have inspired me.

Now that you have made yours...would you chose a differnt thickness or design? What about the slope of the skillet wall?

Where do you get the tin material for the tinning process. I have no experience with tinning other than el;ectronics.

Carry on

• 2 weeks later...

The tinning prevents the uptake of excess copper into the body. Yet, for the best meringue pure copper bowls are the best. Acidic foods leach the copper out and into the body affecting the liver, kidneys, heart and even the central nervous system. I have wondered who the first person was that discovered tinning of cookware was, he did good.

Thanks guys, never knew that. So what about those huge copper cauldrons that people used to use? Were those tinned too?

And I've read some who say that it is more a precaution against corrosion and pitting than a health hazard, except when vinegar is used?

From what I've read the huge cauldrons were not tinned and most were not in every day usage but for feast days and other special occasions. And yes, it is a precaution against corrosion, if you are cooking with food stuffs that are continually eating away the copper you are ingesting that and copper builds up in you body. That is what does the damage to your kidneys, liver, heart and central nervous system. There are some processes where copper is used on a regular basis without tinning, fermentation/distillation of alcoholic beverages, potable water distribution, cooking, these are non-acidic in nature and do not leach the copper  into the item being consumed. The old saying of what you don't know can't hurt you sure doesn't apply to metals, it can and does, copper toxicity can be quite dangerous to the body.