I Forge Iron

Need help with Split Cross Dimensions

Chris Covington

I have a few pieces of 1 inch square stock that I want to make into split crosses to hang on a wall.  The cross height I am looking for in 10 inches.  In my drawings I have the arms at 3 inches and the bottom leg at 6 inches.  Do these dimensions sound right? How long of stock should i need to achieve this and how long should the cuts be and how much overlap?  I know this should probably be easy..but im having a major brain fart right now... Thanks

I believe there is a bp on the site for wot you need. but if you cannot find it then get some half inch and cut and forge the first one keeping track of the dimensions before and after...make a few of them..how much you forge them will make a difference in finished size. then size the numbers up and have a go at the one inch. I made one from one inch and it was much larger than wot you said above. A few of them from quarter inch with a split ring are great key ring gifts.

I saw that thread.  I just didnt know how to alter the dimensions when going to 1 inch stock.  Should I go for 1 inch overlap of the cuts? I found a website that suggested a 1:2 ratio between the arms and the base ( the arms are 3 inch and the base is 6 ).  However when i drew this out on paper the base seemed too long.  It looked better with a 5 inch leg instead of 6.  I guess i could increase the dimensions from the link you posted proportionally based on the stock size difference.  

I think I figured it out.  the stock size used in the linked thread was 3/8 inch.  I converted it to .375 and divided it into 1 which gave me 2.67,  I then multiplied 2.67 x the original dimensions to give me proportional dimensions for 1 inch stock.  The overall dimensions I came up with for 1 inch stock was a stock length of 10 inches and my 2 cuts ended up being 7 inchs for the long cut and 3 5/8 inches for the short cut.  My overlap ended up being 5/8 inch and the section removal was 2 5/8 inch.  On paper it looks and sounds legitimate.  Ill post pictures once I try it out.

• 4 weeks later...

A standard cross demension is 3:1

So if a cross stands 6" tall from bottom to top it should be 2" wide from end to end.  If it is 3' tall from bottom to top, it should be 1' wide from end to end.  That being said, it's all in what looks appealing to your eyes. 

Quilt rack crosses are 3'x1',

quiltrack1.jpg

This unity cross stands 16" tall and is 8" wide which is only a 2:1 ratio.  I think both look proportionate. 

c1add1f9.jpg

As far as the split goes just make the overlap the width of the stock itself.  So if its 1" stock, then you overlap by 1"

Hope this helps.

I saw that thread.  I just didnt know how to alter the dimensions when going to 1 inch stock.  Should I go for 1 inch overlap of the cuts? I found a website that suggested a 1:2 ratio between the arms and the base ( the arms are 3 inch and the base is 6 ).  However when i drew this out on paper the base seemed too long.  It looked better with a 5 inch leg instead of 6.  I guess i could increase the dimensions from the link you posted proportionally based on the stock size difference.  

Adjust proportionally from my BP, draw it on paper or a layout table, THEN adjust according to what is pleasing to the eye. Always, always, ALWAYS, do the final adjusting according to what looks right, because most people aren't going to look at it with a taper measure, they're going to look at it with their eyes.

I've never had a call to do any larger ones, but judging from general experience of how steel works, the cuts for the diamond in the center should remain the same proportionally as you upscale stock size.

Best of luck and PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, post pictures when you are done!