I Forge Iron

Teachers Hand Bell

J W Bennett

A client wanted a hand bell for her daughter, she just started teaching elementary school and wanted a bell for her desk.

The bell is forged from 1-1/2" sch 40 pipe. The handle and Bell are one
piece. Finished bell is 6" tall with brass finish and clear coat.

Clapper is made from 2 pieces of 1/8" rod and a 3/4" steel ball. Ball
was annealed then drilled 7/32 the rod inserted and then the two brazed
together. The two rods were looped together the inserted in the handle
and brazed. Fun project

John

post-278-0-42389600-1359459663_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-23766800-1359459676_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-49891500-1359459690_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-12845600-1359459716_thumb.jpg

I assume that you forged the butt of the handle down till you could weld the center hole together?  Then you cut off the parent pipe and rounded the handle end slightly?  I like it and it illustrates what I keep saying about pipe and how nice it is to forge!  My only suggestions are that you might try flaring the open end a bit more and sloping the closed end a bit more for a slightly shapelier bell next time you do one.  It looks cool though and I like how you colored it!  I'll bet it makes a joyful ring!

Well I meant forge welding... so maybe you got that done anyway... or you have a cold shut there but so small as to be invisible.  Either way is fine!  I have also added a small chunk of rod as the hole begins to close and welded (forge welded) that in there.  The ball swage idea sounds nice!  I'd like to see it when you are done!