I Forge Iron

Poll - How clean is your shop?

I had a friend once who kept a spotless shop and used to hassle me on how dirty mine was---until I pointed out to him that he spent more time cleaning his shop each week than I got to *work* in my shop.

I have a concrete floor and I like to sweep the work area while the steel is heating but the bench gets pretty cluttered and the shop is gradually filling *up*.

I hope to build a coal forge addition and move a lot of the "dirty" stuff out there---welder, grinder, but keep the propane forge in the clean area along with the screw press.

Normally I fit in the after the project is finished catagory, however right now I have a lot of home projects going on and the last one on the list (wife won the battle over the order of the projects) is an addition on the shop. I think she did that so I would get the other things done faster, probably smart on her part.
So there is an unnecissary amount of stuff in my shop right now making it impossible to clean or work in, but I have an area on the side of the shop w/a roof where my forge and anvils are, which is where I do my forging, so I can still do that much anyway.

welder19

I generally do a quick clean up at the end of a day's work, sweeping, picking up random bits and bobs on the floor, brush off and lightly oil the tools and anvil or English wheel. It give's me plenty of time to ensure that when I leave the shop won't burn down from that forgotten spark or whatever. However I am convinced that my workbench is a huge magnet that can and will attract ALL random objects in my shop, so that requires a fair amount of attention on a regular basis.

I wish I had clean shop.It would be so much better to be able to find what I need,rather than thinking,"Now where did I put that?........." I'm a 'pack rat'. If there was a prize for messy shops, I'd win,hands down! There is literally 'a path' to my forge. I can see my bench grinder.......but I can't get to it to use it! Good thing I can still find my angle grinder!I really must do better.........and I plan to......one of these days! I cant realy describe it in words,so here's a pic showing the doorway to my shop.

2683.attach

Mine is organized but packed pretty tight so it's hard to move around. I used to host workshops but it would be tough for me to have a group of people these days.

I am usually making ornamental products from new steel so my scrap pile is pretty small but I have recycled quite a few things over the years - especially to make tools. The shop has a dirt floor so dust gets on everything. I have to wipe down the machine tools every now and then just to get the grime off.

How clean is your shop?

We received 105 votes as listed below.

37 votes or 35.2% As needed to keep it safe to work.

19 votes or 18.1% When you have trouble walking in the shop.

17 votes or 16.2% When things reach critical mass and you have to.

14 votes or 13.3% After the project is finished.

10 votes or 9.5% Daily.

7 votes or 6.7% Don't remember if the floor is concrete, wood, or dirt.

1 votes or 1% Always ready for the Martha Stewart camrea crew.