I Forge Iron

I haven't posted in a long time. Too many irons in the fire (groan!)  I FINALLY got my larger forge up and running.  I'll post some pics soon.  One of my first projects in the new forge was this adze a friend asked for.  My first try at forge welding with gas was okay, but not perfect.  I used an old spanner handle, drew it down to about 1-1/4 inches wide, doubled it over twice and welded to make the boss for the handle hole.  I punched and drifted the hole for the handle and put a slight curve in the blade.  Not pro, but not too bad.

post-12173-0-01710200-1358998662_thumb.j

post-12173-0-50670100-1358998696_thumb.j

The adze looks fine. If you make another one, or more than that matter, you might want to shape the handle eye like that of a pick or mattock (tapered or cone shaped with the larger dimension on the top). The reason is that during use a lot of pressure is place along the top of the tool (wood surface you are working) causing the head to pull from the handle - therefore the need for a tapered socket. Good luck, and keep up the nice work. -Charlie

Good advice Iron Duck!  I was mostly building the head for a handle I knew I could easily find.(ACE is the place!)  Arizona is not the best place for handle hardwoods... or hardwoods... or wood! If I can develop a tool handle out of sandstone I'll be a wealthy man! :rolleyes:  We have Pecan if you can get to it before someone chainsaws it into short pieces, but that requires a lot of looking.