I Forge Iron

My Legend of Zelda shield (WIP)

I think this is the right spot for this
Anywho, I've been working on creating the Hylian shield from Legend of Zelda
The main plate and outer crest is 16 gauge, plasma cut and cold formed to the curve
the wood is 1x8 red oak, which i used a spoke shave on to help make them fit
Cresting on the front is brass, copper, and repoussed steel, brazed on through holes drilled in the back. all taped off and painted, working on the sides now

post-30968-0-08572500-1358982452_thumb.j

post-30968-0-15095800-1358982481_thumb.j

post-30968-0-70265700-1358982505_thumb.j

post-30968-0-31829200-1358982426_thumb.j
post-30968-0-26203600-1358982531_thumb.j

Thought, tips or advice?

If you had pegged and glued  the 3 wooden backing planks into one unit before laying in place you would have had more strength, and the out of place seams in your photo would have been gone.  I cant tell from these pics if you rolled the edges of the plating or not,  but its looking good.

I didn't roll the edges of the plating, as this was my first attempt at this sort of thing and didnt know what I was doing. I'm now in the process of welding and filing metal onto the sides to roll onto the back for the rivets. 
Also wish I had of though of pegging the boards together! 

I planished out what I could, then filed the marks off from the top. 

• 3 months later...

For a first  run at such a project it looks great, I wouldnt worry about strength unless your going to take it into battle with live steel.  I did a "prop" Capatain America shield for a costume a while back, .050 Alluminum with no backing (didnt have any vibranium/adimantium alloy), domed it on the english wheel and rolled the edge, paint scheem and leather handholds etc, it has stood up to much foam sword combat and even being walked on with the only damge being to the paint. More important in this use is that it is light enough to easily carry. Keep up the good work.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in your header we wont have to keep asking.

Pretty cool project. I can't say for sure but I THINK rivets on armor and shields weren't round headed towards the attacker. the smoother armour is the less likely a weapon will cut. The issue I see with the unpegged boards is wear and blisters on your arm. It's not real armour so strength is a little less an issue.

Well done.

Frosty the Lucky

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...