I Forge Iron

looking for info on an atlas lathe?

silvereaglevaughan

Look for a plate on the right end of the lathe bed.  You will most likely find the serial number and the model number.  When you say it has a stuck secondary tool carrier do you mean the cross slide or the compound rest?  You are revieling a lack of lathe experience calling it a secondary tool carrier.  No matter, you have a carriage, a cross slide, and a compound rest.

Is this lathe for sale?  If it is, I'm interested.

The compound (top slide) and the cross feed both have adjustable gibbs ... losten the lock nuts and back out the screws 1-2 turns and the slides should be free ... clean lubricate and re-adjust the gibbs.
If the carriage will not move by hand ... it appears the half-nut is closed onto the lead screw. Lift the lever on the righ hand side of the carrage and it should move easily ... although there is a carrige lock with a square head that must be backed off or it will not move as well.
I hope this helps ...

wow quick response. yes i have no formal training or experience with proper milling tools. by your list it is the cross slide that is locked up, carriage,and compound rest work well. I have loosened all the lock nuts and gotten the slide mostly free, loosened the 2 collars  behind the hand crank but it still wont budge.

thanks the Id plate was right ware you suggested(amazing what a little degrease will do )

2013-01-23133104.jpg

model # 3980

serial # 000369

no sorry its not for sale  

That lathe has a power cross feed and it may just be engaged.  Just below the cross slide on the apron of the carriage there is a lever or push button to engage the feed.  If it is button pull it out or push it in and if it is a lever, turn it.

well after digging in to the old Gal some more today I am leaning toward it being the power cross feed being the issue. The knob/button below the cross slide crank will wiggle but not pull out or in.

That cross feed button engages a gear that meshes with a gear on the cross slide feed screw.  There is a gear that slides on the lead screw that has a key that registers in the keyway of the lead screw. Place the direction tumbler in a feed direction.  By hand,turn the spindel and at the same time push in that button.     It does take some force to move that button.  And make sure that the carraige lock is not engaged.   If that doesn't work to allow the cross feed to move you have a problem with the gear behind the apron of the carraige.

The gears on an Atlas lathe are made of pot metal and often rot over time.

This would be the gear to look for.post-3873-0-45408900-1359041671_thumb.jp

Well I got to spend some quality time with tho old gal this morning and I am happy to report that it is back to 100% functionality.

The gremlin was a stepped collar under the indexing dial. It was missing a set screw so every time someone locked down the dial it tightened this collar against the carriage.

Got the powered cross feed button figured out to (nothing broking but the operator).

Thanks everyone for the assist. now its on to figuring out how to use it & the small horde of accessory tucked away in a corner.