I Forge Iron

making a rifle in 58 minutes

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be surprised if this hasn't already been posted on this site, but I just came across it, thanks to another forum, and had to share it.  Runs about one hour, and has the usual turgid descriptions, but very good nonetheless. The Williamsburg Gunsmith:

Mod note: URL already posted at beginning of thread

• 2 weeks later...

I have never made any of the parts for a blackpowder gun but i do have an advantage on that score if i ever do....my father in law worked at Colonial Williamsburg for 28 years...a couple of years in the blacksmith shop and 20+ years in the gunsmith shop.  He was laid off a cpl yrs ago and went into gunsmithing for himself.  You can see examples of his work (and mine) at   www.claysmithguns.com    In fact he built me a rifle using some of my spare parts for Christmas...now i just have to do the finish work on the stock and furniture.

Keth,

What an opportunity!Learn what you can from Clay.I know him by reputation and would be honored to meet  him some day.I wish he would offer a class on building a Ky. rifle from scratch as Wallace does in the video.I contacted Clay after he left Williamsburg and I believe he was going to work from his  suburban home and couldnt do any blacksmithing from there. Is he is building guns using commercial components. I know that is probably the only practical way to make a living because a gun from scratch would be very,veryexpensive. I hope he does well. 

• 3 months later...

Hmm...I tried the link at the beginning of this post and it appears that the video has been removed.  I think I found the same video elsewhere, although it's broken up into a 10 part series. 

Here is a link to the first video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSESf_mU3VI&list=PLpptl1XpQsR444H0gQfTuojc3gw0uSGDu&index=1

I also have a playlist on my channel that currently includes all 10 parts.

I wish I had the amount of talent that this man had when this was filmed.  "...with the tools he himself made, and the combined skills of a blacksmith, machinist, foundryman, woodworker, and engraver."  I'm pretty sure I'm older than he was by a minimum of 5 years, and the only thing I can really claim is electronics technician (not as cool as it sounds), although I'm getting close to taking my 3/8" 3G welding test.  That's the computer/machine age for you, brainrot.  Although if it wasn't for the internet, I most likely never would have known this video existed.