I Forge Iron

Welcome New Blacksmiths Here Are A Few Suggestions

Welcome New Blacksmiths Here Are A Few Suggestions

This note is meant only for new blacksmiths if they happen to have some spare time to read it.

I have assembled a few suggestions here in hopes of leading you into a more direct and successful path of learning the skills of becoming a blacksmith.

I understand that there is a lot of reading here, but there is no short cut to skill!

Here are a few concepts that you may want to keep in the eye of your mind.

I suggest the following as a means to help to you set your goals high. 

And, is also meant to help you aim and adjust your campus correctly in the right direction to become a proficient Blacksmith.

Never forget;

Deliberate Practice is the Key. 

Excellence is not a mistake. 

The enemy of excellence is average.

1. Start where you are.

2. Use what you have.

3. Do as much as you can.

4. Strike through until you get through. Otherwise do not give up!

The difference between Average and Excellence is when we practice each skill with deliberate and measured (perfect) strikes until it is perfect.

We do it Over and Over and Over again. And then Again and again and again with deliberate and measured strikes.  

As Rich Hale would say; “Perfect Practice”.  

Why would you be willing to accept the habit of practicing bad habits and dangerous practices? 

Some do, and that is just because they do not know better, lazy, or was not trained properly to begin with!

The repetition of using Deliberate Perfect Practice over and over again until you have improved your performance to a higher level of competence of perfect repetition is always the goal.

• If you want results like a champion, you must pay the price of a champion!
  • Consistency is crucial! 
  • Every day strike it and master what you are striving for.
  • Your talent is forged by perfect practice.
  • Learn to strike hard at times and then soft at other times.
  • Learn to strike faster at times and slower at other times.
  • Learn to pace yourself and be steady!

- - - - - - -  - -

Blacksmithing, like all other skills were birthed by the Mother of Necessity.

The “Trial and err” method was the formula used over the many years to develop the basics of forging as we know if it now.

We are the recipients of all of the preceding years of development of the basic skills used in forging today.

We are fortunate that the many years of refining the techniques of forging have left us with a very basic, but functional set of operational forging skills that are now easily available for us to pattern our efforts after. 

The research and development work is essentially done. Now all we have to do is learn what has already been established. 

That foundation of that knowledge seems to be missed by many people who start blacksmithing or making knives. 

Many seem to want to skip over or around the process of learning the basics of forging, and then when they fail, they wonder why?  

OOOPs!

More than I would like to admit, I have done the same thing that I just

spoke about.

I write this openly with the intent of hoping to encourage you to step up your game, and for you to know that some of us have also struggled in the process to learn about the blacksmithing craft.

Many time’s in my life (well more than many times) “I have put the cart before the horse”.   

And just as many times I found out that it will not work well by trying to get ahead by skipping foundational principals!

Here was my issue and I think it is the same with many others:

It became apparent that I would become interested and excited about doing something that was new to me, and then, only because of enthusiasm, I would subsequently have a tendency to proceed too quickly and get ahead of myself.

That is really the reason I write this long drawn out note.

My hope is that you will learn from my shortcoming about trying to get ahead of the game and consequently out smart yourself like I have done in my life.

I would like to encourage you to take the best route possible to learn how to forge.

If you will learn and practice correctly (each step and at the right time), you will save yourself time, money, injury’s, and gain the experience of success instead of failure.

Speed and shortcuts are not always the fastest way to proceed.

For Example: When you speed while driving, there is a good chance that you will see red flashing lights, flashing in your rear view mirror.

Many times you will lose much more time and money than you gained. 

I am suggesting that there is a pace of learning and working that is different for each of us.  You need to discover what pace (speed) works best for you.

Speed; when using the term “speed” as it is related with skill, it would be to work at your pace and still produce quality work without error. 

Working fast, but without excellence is not acceptable when you are trying to make a living with your craft.  You will not last!

As you learn your skill, speed and accuracy will be integrated into your ability to produce work, and is only limited or affected by the process you are using at the time.    

The process used is influence by the attributes of materials used, your skill level and the tools you have available.

By traveling on the existing roads that have already been paved for us, they will guide us into becoming skilled and successful at the craft of forging.

Here is just one approach to learn to forge.

I found the quickest way to learn about blacksmithing is to travel on the road “most traveled” by other well groomed and experienced blacksmiths.

Find a skilled Blacksmith, a good school, or a blacksmithing organization, as quickly as you can.

I want to impress on you of how important it is to learn the process correctly the “FIRST TIME” around.

It takes much more effort, money and time to “unlearn a process”, then to

have to learn it correctly the first time.

You build muscle memory, cell memory, and habit during the learning process.  Make sure you learn correctly the first time around.  

Depending how serious you are about learning the trade of blacksmithing now or later, I would suggest that you be prepared to organize and discipline yourself in order to follow the road of “tried and true methods of forging”. 

Here is something else to consider as a tool to lead you to success:

Mapping: (or Goal Setting):

Mapping is just a strategy tool to be used to assist you in order to outline the most effective and direct route for you to follow in order to successfully arrive at your destination.

The skill of mapping includes having to learn how to take un-expected detours that are not marked well, and then purposefully finding your way back on course.

Another name for “MAP”, or Mapping in this format is called “GOALS”, or Goal Setting.

If you take the time to learn the skills of managing goals, it will serve you well and save you time and money at almost anything you attempt.

Here is an example of why you should map, and the value of mapping:

If you were required to drive to a destination that was 1,500 miles across the country, what would be a wise thing for you to do to prepare for the trip? 

I would suggest that you should obtain a map.

And then chart your course (Route).

If you do not use a map there is no question in my mind that you would miss important turn-off’s, spend more money on gas than would be necessary, get lost several times, drive in circles, and you most likely may never arrive at you chosen destination. It happens!

The same concept is true about blacksmithing or any other endeavor you become involved in.

I suggest that you should start by making a Map leading to your Destiny

I also suggest that you make your map accurate, and that it would show

where you are at this time, and the route you must take to arrive at your destination.

As an example: A good place to start may be to figure out how to obtain the training required, money to pay for the training, identify the equipment you will need, how to obtain the money for purchasing the equipment and tool that are required, and on and on!

The list will be simple at first.  But as time and experience speaks out, the list may become extensive, yet manageable if you learn how to tend your goals (mapping). 

The best and quickest way is to chart a route on a blacksmith map is to ask other people who have already and successfully made the trip.

And I mean from skilled blacksmiths, who like all of us who had their own starting point and then followed existing roads successfully to their destination of operating skillfully with Blacksmithing/Forging Skills.

Note that earlier I used the term “existing roads”.

Again I want to place an emphasis about the value of the Blacksmithing Forging Skills as we understand them today, and that they are in place only because of the efforts of many highly intelligent and very skilled people who paved the way before us.

These great people paved the roads of forging skills for us to travel on. 

Those existing roads of skill will serve us also; that is, if we will only follow them!

The existing roads of forging knowledge have been traveled over many times by clever and gifted people. 

The resultant operational skills have been honed down to what they are at this time because they have passed the test of time, and have survived the refining fires of trial and error.

So, I suggest that the existing basic skills cannot be replaced easily, and they are what they are; and they are sufficient and worth learning correctly.  

- - -

We know that all of the research and development work has been done for us and it works.  But it will work only if we take the time and effort to value and learn the basics of the existing fundamentals of forging.

When you have mastered the basic skills of forging, then; if you have something new to contribute, please do it.

We all have to start somewhere, where is your starting point?

So from your starting point you must take into consideration all factors of what, where and how you are positioned in life so you will know how to chart your path to reaching your destination of becoming a blacksmith.

Only you know your situation whether it be age, health, location, financial restrictions, or ability and many other factors that you must take into consideration and actively solve for; and that would be from your existing position, the “starting point”.

I wish you the very best as you travel down the road of knowledge of

becoming a proficient and “KIND” blacksmith!

Ted Throckmorton

That speech makes perfect sense,and as a freshy to the art it's inspiring and true,thanks for takin the time to reach out and share your knowledge I look forward to drivin on the existing roads, cheers

Agreed, and I would add that it's important to pay attention to the length of journey.  As Malcom Gladwell points out in his book, Outliers, to become a Master of one's chosen craft, it takes 10,000 hours of practice.  After 3 yrs of smithing @ an average of 10 hrs/wk I'm only ~ 10-15% there, so I figure in about 29 years I'll be good enough.....

Sage advice Ted- 

I always have a sign in my shop which reads:

We do three kinds of work

Cheap, Quick and Good

You can have any two-

A good quick job won't be cheap,

A good job cheap won't be quick,

And a cheap job quick won't be good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Definitely not what I'd call an "Americanism".  I can see how one would have a tendency to err when using the trial and error method, so really both words work.  Of course, that's a lot of typing and maybe his fingers slipped.

• 1 month later...

I'm new to the site (you can probably tell that if you decipher my nick name that I'm new) and wanted to say thank you for the post.  I see a lot of myself in that post as I tend to be a quick learner but after having moderate success I also tend to become over confident and jump ahead with sometimes disastrous results.

Here is as good a place as any I suppose to say hello to everyone and introduce my self.  I am a Journeyman Welder in Alberta so I have a bit of a head start in that I already posses a working knowledge of annealing, heat treatment, grain structure etc.  I have always been fascinated with with blacksmithing since I was a boy and lately its turned into my newest obsession so I'm jumping in with both feet.  I've purchased a few books on the subject and am waiting on delivery but until then I'm going to be lurking on these fine forums and reading, reading, reading. 

I'm hoping to begin construction on my forge this week after I swipe some materials from work (by swipe I mean save from the garbage as in the oilfield there is a ton of waste and if you ask you can take pretty much anything you want. you should see how much "scrap" pipe I have lol).  I plan on making my own tongs and hammers and what not following the guides in the books I bought and figure those are good starting points for learning some basics.  Eventually my goal is to move into blade/axe making and pattern welding.  Anyway thats enough rambling from me, see you around and its nice to meet you all.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised to find out how many IFI folk live within visiting distance. That'd be less general than Province, town is good. It's not a requirement though.

How refreshing, a new comer who starts out reading the forum sections! I'm serious, seems most kids just jump in asking questions they don't know enough to even ask sensibly. It's going to be a genuine pleasure helping you along and checking out all the pics you're going to post. You ARE going to post pics, right? We LOVE pics, shop pics, tool pics, project pics, etc.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks guys for the welcome and I'll absolutely document my progress as I go, I'm hoping to find some spare time to get started in the next week or so but its hard to say between work, a baby, and my brothers wedding the next couple weeks are pretty booked but I should find time to at least start work on a forge and I'll definitely find time to read.  I'm very impressed with this community so far and how helpful and supportive everyone seems to be, the interweb can be a nasty place sometimes but it looks like this community is a good one.  

Thanks for having me.

Welcome to the group.  Until you can get a forge up and running practicing with clay might be helpful.  I do it when I'm trying to figure out a new technique.  Here's a good post on it. 

Like Want2Learn, I am new to IFI and to blacksmithing. I'm a welder/fabricator and mechanic. I'm used to working with various metals and their different properties. I'm also somewhat used to deliberate hammer strikes. Hopefully it translates to blacksmithing well. I definitely agree with Ted in that I should find a local blacksmith group and get lessons. Very good advice. I'm from central California if there's anyone around me.

Thank you Ted for the reading. I am very new at blacksmithing (green horn)..I have yet to do anything forge or anvil related..However I have found somthing in this that makes me feel as if it could be my new love and hobbie.... Do you recomend any books, info, advise on buying new or old anvil, Gas or cole forge. Well anyways Thank you for the advice... =-) 

Welcome aboard Ducky, glad to have you.  Drag up a comfy chair, lunch and refreshing beverages and start reading sections of interest to you. Just pic a topic, we've probably talked it to painful detailed death.

Another little thing to remember, we LOVE pics, projects, tools, shops, machinery, family, dogs, scenery, etc.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a newbie too Well, maybe I shouldn't say that as I'm 78 years old, but I'm new to smithing. I was able to buy some equipment some years back because I've always been interested in it, but didn't have a place to pursue it. Now I do and am rarin' to go.

Here's what I have. I attached the pictures. The anvil is stamped 1-5-3 but when I weighed it it was only 145 lbs so I don't think that's an English stamp. The rest of the markings I can't read yet but will try to. I can read part of the word wrought, I think.
The forge is cast iron, but it has n't a fire pot so I just have to build a higher fire.
The vise is about 40 lbs with a 4-1/2" jaws, a little loose on the bottom hinge so I'll have to shim it some. I'm in the process of making a mount and spring which were missing. I hope you can see from the picture that the screw looks pristine. I'm puzzled as to why the female half is brassy looking.
Any information anyone can give me on this would be appreciated.

post-42924-0-11346200-1374640854_thumb.j  post-42924-0-68525100-1374640861_thumb.j  post-42924-0-35183400-1374640868_thumb.j  post-42924-0-06573900-1374641367_thumb.j