I Forge Iron

New (for me) spinning lathe

Mark  Emig

I just sold my Fruin to pay for it. I used the new one today and found 8 ways to ruin good material, then called it quits for the day  :lol: . Tore it, warped it ,flung it off the machine......

On another note, I know a guy who has a BIG gap bed spinning lathe for sale-I think its at least a 3 foot swing. P.M. me and I'll give you his info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

the first pic is Dad spinning some kind of radar dish in our basement, maybe in Everett Wa. Or Portland Or. I don't remember where though I do remember that view.

The second is Elmer, I think doing some of the really rare hand spinning in the shop.

The next two are the bells, we spun hundreds, maybe thousands of the things, I was the one who polished them with emery cloth and kerosene, it turned me silver gray for days a shower wouldn't fix. the fellow spinning the bells is Wolfgang, great big bear of a man with a teddy bear's heart. Great guy, great spinner.

This is Dad spinning hot, Sherrie is holding torch. I held torch a LOT. this part was some jet/rocket engine high temp alloy, we didn't spin anything else hot. Could've been inconel, monel, etc. or some alloy of titanium. We spun a LOT of high alloy stock for aerospace.

The next pic is Glenn, he was Dad's machinist, in a shop where everybody HAD to have more than one trade Glenn was just the machinist, didn't spin a lick, trimmed blanks sometimes but he held the foreman's position on his skill as a machinist alone.

I believe those are all the spinning pics I have handy. The next one is the punch bowl Dad spun because someone told him it couldn't be done with scissor tools. The inner bowl is 14 ga. 300x stainless steel and the outer is something like 18 ga. copper. There is a dead air space between both bowls and the only contact is at the join which is the rolled rim where the ss pinches the copper bowl.

The copper bowl is so fragile you could've folded it and crushed it by hand before it was joined to the SS bowl. Dad free spun it, no die, but a bare flat disk for the live center tail stock hold it in place, just the scissor tools, lathe, blank and skill. the stainless inner bowl is so tough you could park a pickup truck on it without marking it. Dad did so to prove it wasn't annealed just before crimping the two together. He free spun two bowls before witnesses to prove the point.

That's me holding one of the punch bowls for scale.

Last, (finally you say!) is a stainless steel jigger, same stock as the punch bowl, same gauge, free spun. Another of Dad's show off pieces. At the time, there were maybe 3-4 people this side of the pond who could pull these off, let alone do such a nice job. Yes, it measures one jigger.

I find it hard NOT to brag about Dad. It's so good to have parents a boy can brag about you know.

Frosty The Lucky.

post-975-0-53797500-1368566583_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-55159000-1368566702_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-66066600-1368566788_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-38014000-1368566971_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-64866600-1368567155_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-59278000-1368567350_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-32926800-1368567529_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-94143700-1368568292_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-19117700-1368568347_thumb.jpg

Frosty,

In picture 4, is that what is referred to as a scissor tool?  Last month I had my first foray into metal spinning.  I made a scissor tool (if that is what it is called), spun a chuck and got to work spinning .040 cold rolled.  I now have an undying respect for metal spinners.  It is an amazing craft but now I know it takes years to learn.

Frosty,

In picture 4, is that what is referred to as a scissor tool?  Last month I had my first foray into metal spinning.  I made a scissor tool (if that is what it is called), spun a chuck and got to work spinning .040 cold rolled.  I now have an undying respect for metal spinners.  It is an amazing craft but now I know it takes years to learn.

Yes it is, the only pic of hand spinning is Elmer, #2. Every once in a while someone would have to take a hand tool to a part to correct something but it was rare and usually a result of a ham handed kid (me) screwing up. I don't think I have a pic of a scissor tool for itself and I didn't inherit but a roller and fork. (the business end) hanging on the walls behind the lathes are left hand tools, the half with the roller but there were only a couple right hand halves at any given lathe.

I loved spinning steel, the right speed and get the touch and it flows over the die like butter. I ran 14-20 ga. x 9"+/- dia steel blanks at 3,200 rpm and it almost didn't take pressure to spin it. Sweet fun once you have the feel. Want a PITA, spin brass or sterling silver. A scissor tool really helps, these metals work harden really fast and abruptly. hand spinning you have to pass back and forth to maintain thickness and smooth marks so you only get maybe three passes before it hits the danger zone and you have to anneal. Most copper alloys you can move as far as you can on the first pass or blow. with a scissor tool you have far more power on

the blank, it's a compound lever so you can apply literally tons of force. Anyhow, on many parts you can bring them from a blank to finished piece, say 1/2 sphere, in one, maybe two passes tops. I was doing really well to do it in 2-3 passes but Dad could do some really complicated shapes in a single or double pass. First pass with a round tool, second pass with a sharpener to finish details.

Anyway, my favorite was mild steel with aluminum a far second. Al is soft (HAH, most alloys are NOT soft) but you have to almost force it to behave. the good part is it work hardens a little at a time and speaks it clues loudly. You have to be alseep to miss al work hardening, feel changes, sound changes, it all changes, even the smell.

For lube we used Fels Naptha soap but the formula has changed and I hear it's not good for lube anymore. Fels soap and white grease, just enough grease to soften the soap to soft shoe polish consistency.

Oh cripes I'm rambling again. Thanks for pulling good memories guys.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

In answer to the question,have I had any luck with it, yes. I sold it. Spinning is a whole other art form, and I just don't have the time to dedicate to learning it. I spent a bunch of time trying, and realized that I was spreading myself too thin and am going to concentrate on ONE craft. I also tried wood turning with the spinning lathe, and realized I hated that-too many wood chips spewing out all over-don't understand how people like that. So, I sold it to a guy in Colorado who is going to use it for what it is meant for. It is way too nice a machine to sit and rust unused.

I'm sorry to hear that you sold the lathe although I understand your point about focusing on one craft. Learning to spin metal without hands on instruction is an exorcise in frustration. Been there, done that...

Greetings Mark,

Just do as I do .  ( FILE THIS UNDER IT WAS A GOOD IDEA AT THE TIME )  I have a bunch...  I have to live about 3 lifetimes just to finish what I started..

Remember its the journey.....    I learned to determine what you like in life you must establish what you don't...

Keep knockin and keep the faith..

Jim