I Forge Iron

New to me forge W/ issues......HELP!!!!

JGRAFF

JGRAFF Asked.....  Does anyone know how far i should slip the flair onto the burner tube? Is there a scienctific method or guess and check?

I've made a few burners...  Not my original process, but I learned to slide the flare on so the taper starts just below the end of the burner tube.  Light the burner (outside the forge).  If you don't have a flame that pleases you, loosen the flare (with the burner burning) and slide it up or down a little at a time till you get the most optimum flame.  I clamp the burner in a vise and use a long allen wrench.  Movement is easier to control if you slightly turn the flare as  you slide it up or down.

If the burner will not stay lit outside the forge, play with the pressure and be sure the orifice is pointed straight down the tube.  If it stll doesn't stay burning outside the forge, set the burner as I initially suggested and put it in the forge and test it.  I have had burners that would not work outside the forge work just fine with the  little back pressure the forge will provide.

If you use a straight pipe for a flare (not really a flare,but it will hold the flame....  just not as efficiently I would guess),  Put it on the burner tube with about 1.5 inches past the end of the tube....  then follow the directions above.

• 1 month later...

Update.....finally I’m back up and running. And I am loving these burners. They are so easy to tune and get running properly. Thank you to all those that have assisted me in this build.

The only problem I have encountered since rebuilding the burners is when I close the front door it acts like it can’t breathe well and the burners huff and puff a little. Not bad, but I now know if I close the door I need to crack open the rear opening to allow it to breathe. I also took your advice and replaced the rubber tubing with copper tube and compression fittings. Works great and looks great. Can’t ask for any more than that.

JGRAFF

post-15181-0-83127500-1364318094_thumb.j

post-15181-0-76267300-1364318107_thumb.j

post-15181-0-45805900-1364318120_thumb.j