I Forge Iron

Mig welding problem

I am a fairly new mig welder and am having problems using the magnetic welding clamps. They seem to interfere with the welding process- almost like unhooking the ground connection. A good bead and settings, weld a little, good quality, then add the magnetic clamps and it all turns to crap, spitting, popping and the bead all forms on one piece of metal with none sticking to the other piece being welded. The side with the bead can easily be knocked off.
What am I missing here? Can't use the mag clams with mig or ???

Thanks,

Dave

A positive ground is very important with MIG.  The ground should be as close as possiable to the work and the attachment area should be cleaned or ground.  Clamp directly to the work or clamp the work to the bench.  Clean where the metal meets for good ground. No paint, rust, corrousion. I have not had good luck with magnatic clamps for MIG.  Others may have, but I quit messing with them except for stick

Yeah your mag clamps are interfering with the mig welder by disrupting the arc characteristics. Use them in a remote location or mechanical clamps.

I like Tenino Wa. pretty country, heck I even know how it got it's name. Is the big old steam engine still on display?

Frosty The Lucky.

couple things on Mig welding. if by chance you are using Flux core wire you need to make sure the machine is set up with a Positive ground. if you use gas then it isn't as necessary.

secondly I have seen this issue with mag clamps and the old shop teacher I had said to wrap the ground cable around a iron bar or steel pipe to set the phase off. he said it disrupted the field in relation to the weld and and kept things from getting weird at the work level. since I have never had the issue with popping and bubbling using mag clamps I assume he had this scenario in mind.

Hi. Magnetic angle clamps (used to align 45 and 90degree angles) are only intended for an initial tack weld. For instance, if you're setting up a t-joint, place the magnet up for your 90degree angle. Tack the joint once on each side of the vertical piece. If you have a larger piece with multiple magnets holding up the vertical pice, more tacks may be necessary. As soon as you're done with the tacking, remove all of the magnets, because they are no longer needed to complete and weld the joint now. No magnet, no arc blow, no problem.

I am a fairly new mig welder and am having problems using the magnetic welding clamps. They seem to interfere with the welding process- almost like unhooking the ground connection. A good bead and settings, weld a little, good quality, then add the magnetic clamps and it all turns to crap, spitting, popping and the bead all forms on one piece of metal with none sticking to the other piece being welded. The side with the bead can easily be knocked off.
What am I missing here? Can't use the mag clams with mig or ???

Thanks,

Dave

Dave Check to make sure the Ground is "Grounded" properly (IE use a small grinder to clean the work table if metal then any weld spatter off the ground ) yes many a welder arks off the ground to shorten the wire instead of using a welper to cut the wire as should be .

You can make sure the ground is connected to the work itself. as for the magnetic welding clamps  I can only assume you are speaking about the Arrow type that is used for setting up a jig and other type of welding degrees ( 22 ,45,and 90's )these are only for tacking the work together in a few locations of the area to be welded then promptly removed to avoid damage to the tool .

Also knowing what size and type (gas, flux core, or a combination of both) MIG you are using would help . also what size metal you are using as well as the settings on the machine .

at best I can speculate it would be a combination of issues . improper Ground, Machine settings (set too low for proper penetration of the weld) improper position of MIG gun in relation to the work to be welded , the MIG Gun tip may be Clogged up . and the final one and most being if it is Gas unit the tank is not "Empty/almost empty" and has the correct PSI setting .

Best Regards and if I can help you out any further let me Know

Sam