I Forge Iron

Removing chuck jaws

onetreeforge

Hello

I am not very good at using lathes, I use to use the one at my old work alot, it had the jaws numbered to make it easy when changing from the inners to the outer jaws.

anyway I got given a lathe and there are no numbers on the 3 jaw chuck, I had to remove them as they got jamed with chips and it took me like an hour to get them back in and now they feel kind of stiff. what have I done wrong?

I did make a note of witch one came out first but I must have mixed them up or something, they still center ok

On most scroll chucks it doesn't matter which slots the jaws are in as long as they are in the proper sequence. If they're closing evenly they're in sequence. You have 3 combinations of slots they'll go in, check for best sliding fit with scroll out.

When you work out that they are in the right slot. I would suggest marking them & the chuck with number stamp. The first jaw to come out when undoing them is normally No 3 & don't forget to mark up your outside jaws also. It will make it easier in the future.

When you work out that they are in the right slot. I would suggest marking them & the chuck with number stamp. The first jaw to come out when undoing them is normally No 3 & don't forget to mark up your outside jaws also. It will make it easier in the future.

I tried stamping them but its hard steel, need to engrave them