I Forge Iron

used lawn mower blades

There are a number of mower blades available. The standard blade that comes with most mowers is a blade that has both ends slightly bent with the sharp edge only on one side. So when you are mowing the cutting edge is part of the bent edge and both are facing the way the blade turns. In most instances the blades turns clockwise looking from the top of the mower.

There are also other blades from different brands that fit the preference of your lawn mower. That is very normal, it actually gives you more options to choose form, but be very careful when choosing one, try not to pick lawn mower blades made out of pot metal because it is very dangerous and it has the highest tendency to break. Be sure to only pick hardened steel lawn mower blades. These type of blades are tougher and can be sharpen many times after it has became dull, so you wouldn't have to buy a new one, it's pretty much economic.

As the root discussion is about using used lawnmower blades as stock to be forged into other things; the alloy and the ability to use blacksmithing methods of heat treat are of greater interest than what your mower "prefers".  Can you specify how to identify the boron alloy blades vs a straight steel blade "in the wild"?

You're not saying we're SUPPOSED to stay on topic are you Steve? :o I mean, what'll I do? 

Welcome aboard New guy, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll have a chance of hooking up with members living within visiting distance. Heck might even be some needing mower blades to maintain their lawns. 

The subject of this thread though is using worn out and discarded mower blades as a source of medium carbon steel to make other things. 

Last time I changed a mower blade was in the late 60s and there were a witness mark an pins that made it impossible to mount the blade upside down. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Along the same lines, golf course turf mowers have bed knives that seem to be a much higher grade of steel. There is a nice area big enough for a blade between the mounting holes and the cutting edge.

The average golf course have a drum full of used bed knives for all their fairway and greens mowers. They have a finite life and they are discarded. Has anyone determined the steel properties is typical for these.

when I cut one up on my metal band saw it sure seemed a lot tougher than mild steel.

thanks

• 2 years later...

I am green at this and may be a stupid question. I used my grinder and cut a knife out of an old saw blade. That was a year ago and it rusted up something fierce. Living in the Midwest and humidity issues, what can I do to stop this from happening?