I Forge Iron

Fly Press Ball Weights, How Heavy?

Bruce Beamish

Thanks fellas,

I guessed for a 6 ton press with two balls they'd be about 20 lbs each, so I might be on the right track.

WOW ! Dale 33 Kgs If you get in the way of that with a bit of oopmh behind it you'll know all about it!

I got myself with the handle of my AP Lever press (7 - 8 ton, single ball)  a nasty bruise on the ribs and made me cought a bit!

I reckon it could've been even worse for someone with less padding!

Cheers,

Bruce.

Bruce , yeah mate , " slapped " my head " once " with it ,, more careful now

The beer can in picture is 6 1/4" tall , balls bigger . Thing i most have ta watch out for is lettin' go of the handle , it winds down by itself , if i don't watch it i'll get clobbered .

http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/image/34763-louie-the-12-ton-flypress/

Dale Russell

• 9 months later...

I have a Norton deep 6,   Balls are 28lbs each.       Mine are fabraicated but I did weigh an actual deep 6 ball to get proper weight.      I forged some 5" solid balls and they where too light (took all day to forge a couple balls from 2 1/2" round bar)   I ended up ordering two 6" hollow balls from King Metals and welding a pipe coupling in so I could fill them with lead.    Welded a square tube through to sit on the handle.   Works perfect as you can tune the weight to just what you want (although 28 lbs is reall close to full of lead shot)

If the ball weights are missing how about just making a heavy ring! Many of the new presses have a ring instead of a ball. Helps to prevent head smacks. Harder to have a ring come over and hit you than a arm. Just add the two weights together and use that weight as a start. Then measure the ring size you need and you can calculate the length then see what stock size that length will come out the right weight 

Ha ha thanks Neil. Sourcing 6" soild spheres in the UK seems difficult. I have manage to buy them in the past but am struggling to find them now. Monstermetal has the right idea using hollow balls with lead.

Although two pieces of 6" box section would do but prehaps not look right.

I could put a ring handle on it but feel more in control with a weighted arm to swing about.

Decisions decisions!!

• 2 weeks later...

When I found my flypress it didn't have the cross arm and I ended up forging one. It was a really good size one so it was worth the extra effort to go through the trouble. The top of the screw was a tapered hexagon so the hub had to fit that perfectly(bit of a challenge). For weight I just used some old cast iron flat barbell weights. I stacked a couple tens and fives as I recall and have room for more if needed. I just used what I had and it has been working for over 15 years. Good Luck

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Trying to revitalise this old thread  :)

When I found my flypress it didn't have the cross arm and I ended up forging one. It was a really good size one so it was worth the extra effort to go through the trouble. The top of the screw was a tapered hexagon so the hub had to fit that perfectly(bit of a challenge). For weight I just used some old cast iron flat barbell weights. I stacked a couple tens and fives as I recall and have room for more if needed. I just used what I had and it has been working for over 15 years. Good Luck

I try to do almost the same:

bought this little flypress with missing cross arm.

post-48601-0-79086400-1415888409_thumb.j post-48601-0-73594500-1415888450_thumb.j

It's an AE & Co supposedly Swedish or Danish, supposedly 8 ton (seller's info). The screw has 3 threads. The frame seems to be cast material, iron or steel - I don't know. The whole construct isn't big, and the travel of the screw is only 7 cm/ 2 3/4".

I started to forge a cross arm from an old buggy axle. The stock is 60 cm/ 25,5" long 30 x 30 mm square with a nicely upset and punched middle section. I want to make the ends thinner and put two 6" dia 40 mm thick sheet disks on each end. As I calculate this means the whole cross arm can easily weight about 25 kg / 55 lbs. It is exactly the weight of the press without a cross arm. 

Is it too much? Will it hurt the press' frame? Can anyone suggest more correct dimensions? Or info about the maker of my press, google didn't help me.

Thank you, guys in advance!

Greetings

Gergely

Greetings Gergely,

By your picture your new flypress looks to be a small unit...  Most likely used in the jewelry or silver industry.   Your question is how much weight to use. If it was mine I would consider using a flywheel design...  I would find a flywheel off an old machine and modify the hub to fit.   I would guess the diameter should be about 18in..  You could also use a heavy wagon or machinery wheel..  By doing this you could add weight on the outer diameter with ease .  40 pounds sounds about right for the weight of the flywheel..  I think using disc on the cross arm would be a mistake with the bounce and rattle.  Adjustable weights if you chose to use a cross arm is an option.  You could clamp a wheel to the cross arm that you made to test the operation using larger weights.  If this works to your satisfaction you could just weld the wheel to the cross arm..  I hope this helps..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim  

Thank you, Jim for the very quick and helping answer.

You also confirmed my first tought about using a wheel could be better. I just couldn't find one in the size I thought suitable. But hopefully the size you suggested can be easier to find. I go and hunt.

Thanks again and all the bests to you!

Gergely