I Forge Iron

Shreveport Louisiana looking for coal

Bacon

Hey there, I'm new to blacksmithing (started about three days ago)

I am in Shreveport Louisiana and was wondering if anyone know where I could get some coal. I can order it online for $20/50#'s but I was wondering if I could find a place I could drive too.
I am willing to drive a few hours and am looking to get a couple hundred pounds.

I saw some other posts from people in LA but they were in baton rouge and I don't plan on going that far, I've got smithing to do haha.

Well thanks for the help, I'll probably be needing lots of it as I go down this path

Also could  I get any comments on this forge mock up I am doing

27wrvr5.jpg

The dimensions are  24" long x 8" wide base (12" wide top) x 3" deep
The idea is that the circle hole will have a cover on it with small holes, thats where I will do most of my work. But when I need access to a long heat I can switch the airflow to the slots.

So comments? Suggestions?

And to give credit where credits is due, I got this shape and idea based off of Dan Brazzel, aka ModernBlacksmith

Welcome to IFI ! I hope you enjoy your journey into the mysteries of black smithing.  For coal there are several options for you to have coal shipped to you. Glenn Conner sells and ships coal , Glen is the webmaster and head man for I forge Iron. and sources of coal are on E-Bay as you found.  For your forge idea , go ahead and try it . I would not make a firepot so shallow, and so long. the deeper fire welds best with coal and forges best with charcoal. Many groceries and discount stores carry lump charcoal, don't use briquettes.

I'm currently using charcoal and it works well enough. How do I go about buying from Glen? I'm sure I'll find it once I look around but I'm on my phone

And I'd love to go down to the meet in Covington but I'm only in Louisiana till the 17th before I head to Virginia

Posted · Hidden by Glenn, January 17, 2013 - adverftising for Centaur
Hidden by Glenn, January 17, 2013 - adverftising for Centaur

The problem with coal and coke if you cannot drive and get it is the shipping cost.  CentaurForge.com  sells coal in 50 lb bags and will ship it anywhere for an all in cost of $44.95. This is the best deal I have seen for shipped coal.

A drive to Buddy Leonards would be worth it if you get enough coal and can haul it.   Just make sure he has it before you go.   My last trip was for 800 lbs.    On the other hand there are probably better sources even than that??   But I don't know them.     I am not a huge user but I would go for a BIG delivery at the right price.   I like to buy in bulk.  The price is always better...   as long as you plan to use it.    Buddy may not have the Bulk price exactly but it was the best I could find nearby.    Online the shipping is a killer.

Buddy is great if you are nearby, but he is just a bit to far for me. Id also be on the look out for good bulk order but again its the shipping that kills you. Good thing I'll be back in Virginia soon, but Im not sure if I'll be able to find a place to work.

The Red River Smiths meet once a month in Shreveport at LSUS. See our Facebook page. We will help with all kinds of useless information, some even helpful. We have built several good forges. One weekend this January we are building a forge for a member. Don't know what weekend yet. Contact me, you are welcome to come to my shop anytime. Some of the members are using charcoal because of the historical significance and the cleaner burn (less smoke ). It burns up faster but it's free. I can make 30 gal in 4 hours, starting with 55 gal of scrap wood. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you dont mind driving I would recommend Texas Farrier Supply. The address is 603 New hope Rd. South, Kennedale,Texas 76060.  Phone# 1-800-777-2725.  I have $360/Ton written down by there info, but I would call for prices as Im sure they have gone up.  They are located about 220 miles West of Shreveport, South of Ft. Worth, Texas.  You'll have to call a day or so ahead of time so they can bag up the amount you want.  They also carry a lot of other supplies so leave early enough to have time to look around.

P.S.  I live in Doyline, Louisiana just 20 or so miles South East of Shreveport,  so Im having the same issues with not being able to find any Blacksmiths in North Louisiana to learn from.. I wish I had better news.

• 3 years later...

I'm so glad to see other louisiana blacksmiths, I'm from Monroe area and I've not seen any others . I'm just getting started  and really appreciate this forum , and all the info found here. Thanks for the info on coal .