I Forge Iron

insulated firebrick

Since I haven't seen any reference to it, I'm curious if anyone has substituted hardwood lump charcoal for sawdust in their firebrick recipie.  I've been experimenting a bit and found it is fairly easy to pulverize/grind down small enough to pass through a window screen.  My uneducated theory being it might create more uniformed micro pores in the firebrick, still giving it an insulating value and help to maintain a stronger firebrick.  Would appreciate any thoughts on this subject.

I am assuming either sawdust or charcoal would turn to ash when heated to the higher temperatures of a forge.  My thought was having smaller voids from the screened charcoal might have less impact on the structual integrety of the brick.  Don't know for certain, I'm fairly new to blacksmithing and have limited knowledge of many aspects of it.     

Just thinking out loud really; I have a feeling that the sawdust starts off by losing steam, then thermally decomposing, before the carbon that is left after the thermal decomposition actually burns away. The water loss and thermal decomposition would seem likely to provide a certain amount of early porosity, allowing Oxygen in to burn with the Carbon.

Starting with straight Carbon (charcoal), which has already done the water loss and thermal decomposition thing before being incorporated into the mix, would seem to limit the sites accessible to Oxygen to those on the surface. Obviously, the surface will burn away, so the layer underneath becomes the new surface, and so on, but I'd expect it to be very much slower than starting with sawdust. In all honesty, I'd expect it to be too slow to be viable.

I'd be happy to be wrong though. If you try it and it works, please let us know.