I Forge Iron

heart in tomahawk

You could try a punch but drilling then file grind and or saw will be much cleaner
If you are filing not sawing drilling 2 larger holes for the top of the heart and one or more smaller for the middle bottom ect then clean up with a dremil or files

My experience with jewlelers saws is that when they break they give a little ping and that is it. Never had one send shards, but then I was trained in Germany, using high grade German blades and still use those now, 30 years later. I also tend to use the very fine blades only and they are very very thin.

My experience with jewlelers saws is that when they break they give a little ping and that is it. Never had one send shards, but then I was trained in Germany, using high grade German blades and still use those now, 30 years later. I also tend to use the very fine blades only and they are very very thin.

My experience is that I've heard broken bits of blade wizz past my ear.........Wear em..... ;)

Scroll to the bottom of this link.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&ved=0CHoQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wikihow.com%2FUse-a-Jewelry-Saw-to-Cut-Jump-Rings&ei=dIPbULLjDIHQiwKVhIDADg&usg=AFQjCNEw_1ghpbv9HzHPafMvVj6jAFGrtg&sig2=Nzy59BXQojgwUikg8vdjJw&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.cGE

McBruce, So you like your blades a little on the taut side, I usually just make them tight enough for a nice ping when plucked by my fingernail. Of course I have one friend that, like you, makes them really, really tight. How tight? You don't want to be in the same room when the the blade breaks unless you have on a full face mask for sure.

McBruce, So you like your blades a little on the taut side, I usually just make them tight enough for a nice ping when plucked by my fingernail. Of course I have one friend that, like you, makes them really, really tight. How tight? You don't want to be in the same room when the the blade breaks unless you have on a full face mask for sure.

I haven't used one in a long time and I did some decent cutting with them, no problem. I just remember the sound of that teeny bit of blade going by my ear and and I figured it had to be really moving to make it.....Before that I never wore glasses when using the jewelers saw but that incident made a believer outa me.

• 5 years later...
13 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

spam removed

Thank you so much. I've recently gotten into more knife and blade making in my shop now that I have some extra hands making my architectural stuff and rings. I figured I'd come here and consult the experts. What a wonderful thread.

If you had read that you would have known enough to not spam us with a repeat of what we just read, stop wasting bandwidth re quoting when its not needed