I Forge Iron

I Like to Sit in My Shop

J W Bennett

JWBIRONWORKS
I enjoyed your poem called
"I Like to Sit in My Shop"
In simple terms, I have spent a bunch of my 67 years inside of other peoples welding and blacksmith shops as well as my own shop.
I believe your poem is worth reviewing for those who have not seen it. It will be a valued poem for me forever because it expresses my feelings.
I actually do go out into my shop and just sit and enjoy the memories and the richness that I feel because it has taken so many years to collect it all. Lots of sweat, uncertainty, and hard work have been involved.
I love the smells, noise, and the whole shebang.
I believe it must be similar to what a fish must feel like when someone throws it back into the water.
Thanks for sharing those thoughts with us.
Only those of us who know, knows!
Thanks again.
Ted

JWB,

Thanks so for you great words!

This really reminds me of a special neighbor I had growing up. We called him "Grampa Minton" - I worked for him every year helping with his cows, mending fence, milking - you know all of the farm stuff.

He used to put up his hay "old school" - un-baled and forked onto a flatbed trailer then off-loaded in the barn. When we'd finish, we'd sit on the edge of the loft and he'd tell me stories of when he was a kid or his time in Europe during WWII or anything he tough important for a kid to hear. The combination of the smell of the barn, the setting sun and sounds of the livestock below was so powerful I can take myself back there with no effort at all.

Your words brought all o' that back to me once again.

Thanks!
Neil

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...