I Forge Iron

Dumpy cross pein hammer

basher

here is a little 2lb dumpy cross pein .
It is winging its xmas way to a young farrier.
I have been seeing a lot of short hammers used by all you Americans recently and thought I would give them a try.
The short face allows you to use the sides and cornerd as minni fullers whilst keeping the centre of mass behind the blow.
They work really well for decorative forging.
Yes Yes I will probably be forging a Turning hammer soon too!! I pulled an old one off of the rack one square end  (rounded) and one round.... Been sitting there since college.....Ah thats what all the fuss is about!!!
They work really well for decorative forging. I am still gonna use the dogs head hammers for blades though.
 I am not the kind of guy to be Hammernogamous

its cute!!

8287803014_fcbae33075_b.jpg

8287802992_40205126f2_b.jpg

Hmmm I need to reread the posts here it almost sounds as if us colonials might have gotten a nod or something..... :D

Seriously for a lot of forging the shorter stouter hammers can definitely have some advantages when using the edges. Some even have the faces narrowed slightly from the eye/body area to enhance this effect. I will try and remember to get a couple of pics of some rounding hammers I have made in the last couple years that I am starting to favor for this reason.

A nod to the colonials...A Deep courteous bow more like.

I am an English trained Blacksmith but whilst my roots may be British stock from then on upward I owe the majority of my learning and inspiration to colonials , both bladesmiths and Blacksmiths in person and more recently on the web.

I often Joke that I have learned the secrets of the saxon smiths from American ones....

Its a funny old world.

If you are willing to be a sponge and allow your self to not get too attached to your "own" taught or hard learned way of doing things. the world is your oyster.

I get great satisfaction from still learning after 19 years at it long may it last.

Owen I have only known you for, what, five-six years? What I see is his own man...not too beholding to anyone.
I have seen many tens if not hundreds of folk shown the same information you have gone after and done nothing with it....such is not the case with you.
You can feel content that you have good friends, but I would wager when you turn around in your shop...there is nobody there. Your work is all your own.

Ric

Here is a pic of a couple of rounding hammers I have come to use most of the time. I find that I can do most things with the round or flat sides sing the different radius's to achieve many different things. I also still use cross peens and they are always near for specific uses.

attachicon.gifcamera 009.jpeg=009.jpeg

Is that a Hofi anvil those hammers are sitting on?

I used EN8 for the hammer (1045)

I managed to get quite a bit of it very cheap and am now at the end of it.

it is a simple steel and will happily harden in water or brine in hammer section, it is almost good enough for axe use but does quite harden hard enough to take and hold a great edge.

I am a big fan of using a steel I know and I must have made near 100 hammers in this stuff and am reluctant to change now.

I am with you on using the known steel. I like the 1040 to 1050 range steels and 1045 is the preference if I can get it. I was able to obtain a lot of the 4140 a few years back and it heat treats the same for me in hammer size chunks. You can use mystery steels and sometimes have good result but you never know until you finish a piece if it will work. I still like the hammer shape.