I Forge Iron

Ok. It is XF0810 O-1 Tool Steel 1/8 x 1 x 18. I bought it from a website with no tempering instructions. Does it still require normalizing and hardening? Bought from Jantz supply knife making. Is this all covered in the stickes? I'm brand new to the site and I have a lot of exploring to do. Thank you!

Ok. It is XF0810 O-1 Tool Steel 1/8 x 1 x 18. I bought it from a website with no tempering instructions. Does it still require normalizing and hardening? Bought from Jantz supply knife making. Is this all covered in the stickes? I'm brand new to the site and I have a lot of exploring to do. Thank you!

If you  wont read the articles we have already written for new blade makers, you may be out of luck. read this  http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/9030-intro-to-heat-treating/  then read the rest of the referances and New knife maker sticky. then ask questions

Knife making can sure seem like it is a good place to begin working with metal. And for some folks it is just that. However you need a knowledge base to be even vaguely comfortable with the terms and plans you need. Steve and I have noticed this with the new folks on here for a long time and to offer some help for those folks we have both spent a lot of our time to help folks at any level get the information they need,

If there is something in the information that you need more help with I for one will gladly do that. However when you again asked if the information I suggested would tell you if wot i said was really needed it shows me that you did not even look at it to see.

We started a knife how to section on here and it is in the knives section of the forum. We did it in a dual presentation. I took the approach that folks could make a knife using really basic shop tooling. Steve worked at a more advanced level.  We of course have no way to help you unless you are willing to gain from our offerings.

Again if you need help with anyh of the informatikon I will try and help.

So yes you can temper it in your oven but you need to harden it first. Since you are new and did stock removal I assume you don't have a forge, that pretty much leaves an oxy/acytl torch or having it commercially heat treated. Google the heat treat specs for o-1. From Jantz it is in the annealed state, as soft as it gets. To harden it you need to heat it to just past were it isn't magnetic anymore, I'm not familiar with o-1. Then you temper it in your oven, the heat treat specs will give you a temp.

If you already have a torch, go that way, if not either build a forge or have it done professionally. If you plan on forging then you might want to go ahead and build a forge, If you are going to stick with stock removal send it out and start saving for a digitally controlled furnace.

These guys are right by the way, all of the information is available with just a little looking. Spend a little time researching and then if you still have questions ask.

By the way Jantz offers heat treating.

incorrect temps removed.