I Forge Iron

My PELS Iron Worker

RoGrrr

New PELS IRONWORKER

I just bought a PELS IRONWORKER (One of those toys I just couldn't pass up, you know) and am looking for some additional information on it. I haven't found a model or serial number on it yet. I'm  planning to take it to the high pressure carwash and clean off the many years of grease and grime so I can savor what I have.

It is a flywheel type that is about 7 feet tall up to the motor mount above the top of those 16" I-beams. The flywheel is about 2-1/2 feet in diameter, driven with a leather belt.The machine will cut 1 inch bars or rods, flats and angle iron up to about 6 inches. I got a boxful of punches/dies of various sizes and shapes in addition to several other accessories, including a jig to punch holes in 2" trailer hitch tubing. Included is a set of brake dies to do 90* bends.

I got the main drive motor and another 10 HP 3 phase motor to generate the 3 phase to drive it (not that I really needed it, I already had built a rotary converter for my Bridgeport mill. Call me the ultimate hobbyist).

The seller told me it weighs in at 6500 pounds. We used come-alongs to manually winch it up onto my trailer from the gravel floor in his shop building. That took about 4 hours. I chained it down and my rig rode like a Cadillac on the way home !
I've seen many specs on iron workers rated in tons. I'd like to know what the general specs are on this one, as PELS is no longer building this type of machine and I can't find anything on it.

The throat on the machine is 14 inches high and about 18 inches deep. He said he cut a piece of 1 inch steel bar and it didn't even shudder - said it was like there was nothing in it.

These pics are all on my trailer. I've not offloaded it yet since I don't know where I'm going to place it. I'd like to have it inside my garage (I do have room for it) but for the time being....

I'm wondering if anybody knows what I have and has any suggestions for me on it.

I would like to find some kind of operating instructions so I can set depth of cut/die closure. At this point, it looks like there are no broken parts on the machine and I'd say that on a machine like this, there shouldn't be any. They don't build anything this good any more.

post-29565-0-05856500-1355357984_thumb.j

post-29565-0-40012200-1355357987_thumb.j

post-29565-0-50709100-1355357990_thumb.j

post-29565-0-15951200-1355357994_thumb.j

post-29565-0-42363000-1355357997_thumb.j

I took my PELS to the car wash today and spent several dollars washing the YEARS of grime off of it. I could have taken off more of the belt/wheel guards beforehand but at least I got a lot of crap off of it. I bet it lost 10 Lbs of dirt.
Then I used a squirt oiler on it and the gear driven vices are SO much easier to work. I also oiled as many of the sliding surfaces as I could see since it will probably be sitting outside all winter, tho it will be covered with a tarp. I'm going to develop plans for it while it's cold and do the final move in the spring.
I'd like to put it in my garage but that'll be a chore.  I can lift it (20 ton bottle jack) and put it on rods/pipes to move it. I have the room but still....
I might just build a pad next to the garage and set it semi-permanently on it and then build a "chicken coop" around it.
BUT the big thing is getting it off my trailer.
There are a couple of odd shafts plus an odd boss (in image 4 and again in image 5, lower left) that looks like it is supposed to hold some type of shaft but I can't figure it out, so I need to talk with someone who is familiar with this machine.

I took my PELS to the car wash today and spent several dollars washing the YEARS of grime off of it. I could have taken off more of the belt/wheel guards beforehand but at least I got a lot of crap off of it. I bet it lost 10 Lbs of dirt.
Then I used a squirt oiler on it and the gear driven vices are SO much easier to work. I also oiled as many of the sliding surfaces as I could see since it will probably be sitting outside all winter, tho it will be covered with a tarp. I'm going to develop plans for it while it's cold and do the final move in the spring.
I'd like to put it in my garage but that'll be a chore.  I can lift it (20 ton bottle jack) and put it on rods/pipes to move it. I have the room but still....
I might just build a pad next to the garage and set it semi-permanently on it and then build a "chicken coop" around it.
BUT the big thing is getting it off my trailer.
There are a couple of odd shafts plus an odd boss (in image 4 and again in image 5, lower left) that looks like it is supposed to hold some type of shaft but I can't figure it out, so I need to talk with someone who is familiar with this machine.

Just a wild guess on the boss from the pic it could be for a shaft to hold a length stop in. Maybe. Never had anything to do with one of these. just a thought.