I Forge Iron

Fisher 1882 #4 - Any info on this anvil?

Chiming in.  Just weigh it. 

Where is the "4"?  Date on the anvil?  Dimensions? Condition?

The only Fisher anvils where a "4" means something is a large 4 under the horn to indicate a 40 lber., or sometimes a 400 lb anvil with a 4 on the leg.  More information is needed and a picture would help.

Thanks for replies - I ended up passing on this one, but it had 1882 on it and right below that to the left was a large number '4'. The other side had Fisher imprinted and above that was patent date of ? then 1877. I did however, buy a 260 pound JHM Competitor instead and just brought it home last night. I feel like I got a great deal on it even though it was bigger than I was looking for.

That Fisher is pristine, judging by the pictures.  I don't know if it's worth $3/lb, but i'd certainly consider it for a Fisher/Norris anvil!

That you got a steal of a deal on a 260# anvil, though, is a boon, indeed.  Great shop-size anvil and I wish you good fortune on it.

The 4 may be a manufacturing number (like on the mold positive to indicate who made it or style or year the positive was done, etc.)

In general there are lots of stray markings on anvils that only made sense to the folks who made them at the time they were made.

Not to mention *owner* made marks---I need to run out and stamp all my anvils with the sq root of -1 just to cause trouble a hundred years from now!

You cannot have too many anvils, hoss!

A small anvil is great to have because it's easy to move around.  Fisher anvils are great because they are so quiet.  To get a small Fisher is, therefore, doubly great.  Simple science.

To get a Small Fisher in that good a condition.... well that's just icing on the cake!

Great score, bud!  That's a fine anvil and will bring you years of joy.

Oddly enough, my Fisher (an 1882) has that exact same shade of brown patina.  Must be something to do with the blend of their metal, or something, as I've never seen that exact browning on other old anvils.  All I did was give the sides a coat of oil to preserve that look, and it's a dream to look at as well as work on.