I Forge Iron

Bench Grinder

Hey all,

I'm likely to be purchasing a bench grinder in the next week or so. What are some things I should think about?

I was thinking that it makes sense to get a variable speed grinder, but there really doesn't seem to be that many on the market. Are there brands that are good or bad I should know about? What speed(s) should I be running it at? I like the models with a stone on one side and a wire wheel on the other. They seem versatile. But should the wire wheel and stone be going at the same RPMs?

Thanks for any feedback!

Lowes or Home Depot, i forget which, has a Ryobi variable speed 8" bench grinder with a light and it comes with a dressing tool and a buffer wheel and a course and fine stone grinding wheels. I picked one up for around $100 i think it was.

Lt

Do you have, or have you considered a belt grinder instead. I used wheel grinders for 40 years before I even knew belt grinders for metal existed. Now I don't even have a wheel grinder in my shop. I even sharpen drill bits with a belt grinder.
If you haven't used one, I'd recommed visiting a friend's shop to understand the benefits of both.

dj, I have used a belt grinder. Thanks for reminding me of it. Look at prices though, the bench grinder seems more economical.

Jim, do you clamp down your chisels and other tools and then your the angle grinder on them to sharpen them? Seems awkward. I will pay attention to the wheel and arbor sizes, thanks for the tip.

Belt sanders are superior to bench grinders IMO. After the initial set up costs of building or buying the belts are cheap and easy to change to suit a variety of applications.
If you get a grinder then look at the mounting for the stones. I have a ryobi 8" 1 HP from Home Depot and it is difficult to get the stones to run true because of a very small shoulder and washer system. After getting one to run true throw away the star wheel and get a diamond point dressing tool which I have not seen at any of the big box stores around here. Weld or industrial supply houses are it.

I picked up the variable speed model from Lowe's that was pointed out in this thread. I'm happy with it so far. I haven't done too much, but did dress some tools. One wheel doesn't seem to run that true, and I think I'll have to look at the mounting on it.

I agree with most everything people are saying about belt grinders, and would like to pick one up in the future. For now though, I think this will do fine for me.

Now I just need to pick up a wire wheel for it :)

I wish I had a nice 2x 72 or so belt sander but what I do have is a 3 x 18 belt sander that I chuck in the leg vise and and lock it on, my bench grinder is gathering dust behind my welder. It is time for me to build a sander when I can get thte time.

I have 3 1/2 hp 8 amps Delta bench grinders in my shoeing trailer, which Delta does not make anymore. Non are used with stones 1 has grinding discs on one side and 6" wire wheel on the other. The next one is set up with buffing wheels and the third has a scotch wheel and a multi tool belt sander attachment which is a 2" X 36". What I do no about bench grinders is the horse power means nothing you want to look at the amps, a friend of mine has a HF 1 hp grinder and just doing my normal routine I can stop his grinder very easy and mine there is no way I can even slow them down. You get what you pay for, IMO I would return that grinder and by a higher quality grinder. I would surf the web for one, here are a few places to look not knowing what your budget is makes it difficult to point you in a better direction.

Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies

Baldor knife making machines and suplies from www.trugrit.com

I will post a few more later.

Do you have, or have you considered a belt grinder instead. I used wheel grinders for 40 years before I even knew belt grinders for metal existed. Now I don't even have a wheel grinder in my shop. I even sharpen drill bits with a belt grinder.
If you haven't used one, I'd recommed visiting a friend's shop to understand the benefits of both.
:D

this is very true for me too. check out a belt grinder/sander first. you can get a lot more jobs done with a belt grinder.
buzz
i would buy a good belt grinder , then think about making a motor/ grinder from off the self parts;i.e, salvaged electric motor and pillow blocks or pully.

Does anyone know if there is a plan or blueprint on building a belt sander. I have a nice 1 1/2 horse motor that turns 3500 rpm and was wanting to build a nice belt grinder from it. If anyone has pictures of a homemade belt grinder that would be great too. Thanks, Chris.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey all,

I'm likely to be purchasing a bench grinder in the next week or so. What are some things I should think about?

I was thinking that it makes sense to get a variable speed grinder, but there really doesn't seem to be that many on the market. Are there brands that are good or bad I should know about? What speed(s) should I be running it at? I like the models with a stone on one side and a wire wheel on the other. They seem versatile. But should the wire wheel and stone be going at the same RPMs?

Thanks for any feedback!

The best type of bench grinder is the type that you can buy for the money that you have to spend.Cheap tools are just that.You will use this item daily and it will save you untold hours of labor.Where theres smoke theres fire.