I Forge Iron

Possible purchase need advice

Hello i am just new to blacksmithing and want to buy an anvil.  I found one  for pretty cheap but it is in rough shape.   Looks to me like the face might be broken right off??  If thats the case can it even be used? I dont want to try re face it or anything as i dont have the proper tools etc.  Thanks!post-26636-0-66546700-1355155203_thumb.jpost-26636-0-99615100-1355155223_thumb.jpost-26636-0-19683900-1355155244_thumb.j 

Depending on how cheap it was (if it was extremely cheap) I'd weld a flat piece of metal on top of it to act as an anvil face until I could find a better anvil. I've seen videos of people hammering on rocks so I guess anything is better than nothing. At least it's got a hardyhole and a in-tact looking horn.

Looks like someone has been pounding on cold metal for a long time. If you can get it for about half what he is asking and use it to hold hardy tools and small portions of the edge that is left until you find a better one. If you tell enough people what you are looking for a better one will probably show up, but it takes patience, I looked for about 6 months before a real nice Peter Wright landed in my garage.