I Forge Iron

Temporary Forge

Perrin Aybarra

I've got a firepit similar to  this one (Sorry about the long link :)

http://www.zoostores.com/shop/catalog/product/view/id/515324/s/landmann-short-copper-scroll-fire-pit-outdoor-fireplace.html?lp&cat=1289&utm_source=Google_Base&utm_medium=CSEs&utm_term=www.zoostores.com&utm_campaign=landmann-short-copper-scroll-fire-pit-outdoor-fireplace&utm_content=Outdoor%20Fireplaces&mr:trackingCode=C2C13BB6-07D7-E111-B638-BC305BEDE924&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=10620235383&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=20744709783&origin=pla 

If I used an old hair dryer or something to make it a side-draft forge, would that work? Or would it get too hot for the pit (it's made of copper, with a steel frame)?

I've tried looking stuff up on this, but I'm still in doubt. Any help with this would be great! Thanks in advance!

Perrin

A side draft refers to the exhaust, a hair dryer wont help there, I think you are talking about a side blast

I would think it would be like using a Ferrari in a demolition derby. Its too easy to make a brake drum forge to use a a $250 firepit. As to the copper, It would probably melt, given the temperatures reached in a forge. Though I would think that you would be a blacksmith of sufficient caliber to know most of this already, Lord Perrin Goldeneyes. ;)

Well, I asked this because when I originally asked my mom if I could build a forge, she said she'd like me to make one that looked nice so it could be like an outdoor firepit. She said if I built it, she'd pay for the materials. Four months later, I've heard not one word about it, even when I bring it up. I've got everything but a pit and some tongs, which I plan on practicing first.

I see where this is going.  Cosmetics and yard clutter concern your mother.

If you put a layer of sand in the bottom to take up space, then stack bricks on the sand to protect the vessel you can have the cosmetics your mother desires and the forge you desire.  However using a $300 fire bowl is a little...  See if you can find a less expensive decorative vessel. 

Going back to a ground forge, see if you can set up a low brick or wood framed "sandbox" forge, then cover it with pavers and a potted plant (or some other decorative element) when not in use and cooled down.  Naturally maintaining a clean work space and cleaning up promptly will be paramount to maintaining this illusion.

"If Mom ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"

Phil

Sorry. I forgot to add that my dad has a friend who is a metalworker and has made multiple things for me in the past. Would a bigger forge, with a hood and sides to block the wind be better? Not trying to say anything about your expertise at all. I just want to make sure I'm doing what'll work for me. He's cut things about that thickness with a torch for me before. Does any of that help?

I've got an electric blower, so I'm thinking a bottom-blast forge large enough to eventually work on larger decorative items, but able to be used for smaller items as well. I'd like to be able to stick longer bars through so I've drawn out a sort of pizza oven opening with a big slot cut in the back to allow me to pass through. It's going to have to stay outside, so I also want to be able to cover the motor for the blower. I'd like a hood if you think it'd help with smoke. I've got a 6-foot fence, and quite a number of trees and houses provide sort of a wind block. Should I have A firepot sunk into the stand that I'm gonna make? What should I use as the base? My dad has said we could use pipe with some big fittings similar to the top right one on this page http://www.hiseamarine.com/pipe-fitting-1767.html to widen the base. anything I'm missing? A liner, perhaps?

You'll definitely want a flue if working with coal, especially with no wind. The stuff really messes with your breathing. Working with coke is even worse, I've found, though it doesn't put out any smoke. Of course, I'm an asthmatic, so that may make me a bit more mindful towards smoke and fumes.