I Forge Iron

Another one bite´s the BUG

pjakkur

Hi all

I am new to Blacksmitting (well havent started yet, building a forge) i am trying to let an old dream come true... and as this forum gave me the idea on how to build this forge, i like to share with you the progress ;)

this is the firepot... it has an opening of 13" X 10" and is 4 1/2" deep, it is made of 1/2" steelplate

yzhaxyog_Eldstæði_og_ýmislegt_103.JPG

and this is the air intake on top of the firepot. i think it is called Tuyere in english

znca8hai_Eldstæði_og_ýmislegt_099.JPG

im sorry if my english writing is a bit off as i am from Iceland and is not very good at writing english. :(

hopefully i can post more pic tomorrow

Very nice bit of welding, friend. Though, I am curious as to why your decided to angle the air pipe like that. Not saying it wouldn't work, just that I've never seen anyone do that before.

And don't worry about your english skills. You're doing great, and certainly better than a whole bunch of native english speakers that I know!!

"Very nice bit of welding, friend. Though, I am curious as to why your decided to angle the air pipe like that. Not saying it wouldn't work, just that I've never seen anyone do that before.

And don't worry about your english skills. You're doing great, and certainly better than a whole bunch of native english speakers that I know!!"

humm... i don´t know how to explain this other than saying "imagion driving your car straight in to a wall amd then driving your car from an angle in to a wall...

i am hoping to deflect most of the air away from the "ash pit"

humm... i don´t know how to explain this other than saying "imagion driving your car straight in to a wall amd then driving your car from an angle in to a wall...

i am hoping to deflect most of the air away from the "ash pit"

Wow, I've never thought of that before... but it seems logical. :D

Well, it certainly won't hurt anything.  The air flowing into the pipe forms something of a pillow in the ash pit of the piping with the remainder of the air being forced up as the path of least resistance.  Depending on your air source, leaving the dump gate open a hair could be a good way of modulating how much air is going to the fire.

And, it's looks cool.  Run with it and let us know how it works for you.

a time for new pic

here is a pic of inside of the forge and that thing in the middle i think it is called a clincker-braker

k42gxvzq_Eldst%C3%A6%C3%B0i_og_%C3%BDmis

and here is a pic of the forge and the blower i am thinking about using

flcsslcf_Eldst%C3%A6%C3%B0i_og_%C3%BDmis

the blower has an output pipe with a 3 1/2" (90 mm) inside diameter but the squer tube in the air intake of the forge has a insite diameter of 2 3/4" (70 mm)

next step will be to build the table a round the forge and get some coal :)

please feel free to comment, ask question´s or guide, as this is my first forge build i am not quite sure on what i am doing so i guess i will have to learn from misstake and guidens ;)

Welcome aboard, glad to have you.

Looks like you're off to a good start. I'll be looking forward to what you have to say about slanting the tuyere. I used exhaust pipe for my large coal forge and the ash dump is an exhaust stack flap cap counter weighted to stay closed unless I give it a lift with a tong, fire tool, etc.

If you weld a flange around the outside of your fire pot you can just drop it into the table so it's easy to work on or modify if necessary. I don't weld the fire pot to the table unless that's what the end user wants. Of course the hole in the table is the same size as the upper side of the fire pot and the flange extends it's width beyond so the fire pot rests on the flange but isn't directly attached to the table. If you're wondering I've never noticed any movement of the fire pot in use, gravity and the flange keep it solidly set.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you.

Looks like you're off to a good start. I'll be looking forward to what you have to say about slanting the tuyere. I used exhaust pipe for my large coal forge and the ash dump is an exhaust stack flap cap counter weighted to stay closed unless I give it a lift with a tong, fire tool, etc.

If you weld a flange around the outside of your fire pot you can just drop it into the table so it's easy to work on or modify if necessary. I don't weld the fire pot to the table unless that's what the end user wants. Of course the hole in the table is the same size as the upper side of the fire pot and the flange extends it's width beyond so the fire pot rests on the flange but isn't directly attached to the table. If you're wondering I've never noticed any movement of the fire pot in use, gravity and the flange keep it solidly set.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks i am glad to be here

i will be watching the tuyere closely to see if it has any disadvanteges, as for the ash dump i guess i have a simulair thing that is just a lid whitch is closed by a counter weight.

The tuyere is bolted to the firepot with 4 bolts 10 mm (3/8") and i am going to weld a flange to my firepot and have it loose in the forge table.

finaly i had some time to get some work done so time for updade

ff1wfiin_eldtaedi_001.JPG

in 2 hours it looked like this

xqg386he_eldtaedi_003.JPG

then after another 2 hours it looked like this

4d1d5lvt_eldtaedi_004.JPG

lve96kby_eldtaedi_005.JPG

and finaly i got my anvil yesterday

oy6llly7_eldtaedi_006.JPG

i hope to finish my forge to morrow and try it for the first time :)

my live has a new meaning lol

h3nhj5v6_eldtaedi_003.JPG

that genarates a huge heat it took less than a minute to get 10mm (3/8") bar to orange heat and man i had very nice 2 hours heating and hammering lol

and managed to make a pair of very ugly looking tong and a very ugly looking coal rake....

thanks for the inspiration guys now it will be a lot of practice

this pic is taken when i was quitting and had turned the blower off which is btw a hairdrier

7fh24ko7_eldtaedi_004.JPG

in this fire i was using coal ( filled the houst with smoke while i was geting it hot) lol

yes i need to have some kind of damper for the air flow, it is burning coals very fast like this.

the future plans has a blower whitch is in one of the pic above and i am going to have a swifch on it that allows me to run it at very low speed so i can controle the heat better...