I Forge Iron

source of steel billets?

Billet: A small, semi-finished piece of metal that is rectangular, circular, or square in shape. Billets are smaller than blooms.
One way the ax can be made is by folding wrought or mild steel around a eye form and forge welding a piece of good steel into the edge to form a cutting surface. An adz is basically an ax with the blade turned 90 degrees. (ok a much simplified explanation) A knife can be done the same way or made only from a solid piece of good quality steel. There is also Damascus.

Please refine your question so we can provide a better answer. .

basically 90 percent of Youtube videos making axes or adzes start with a chunk of steel stock roughly 1-2"X3-4" in size, so I am searching for the best source of steel billets/stock/chuncks/squares/bars or whatever they are officially called, in the most common too steels such as O1 1080 1095 and mild steel.
I hope that is more clear.

Thanks
Josh

Welcome aboard Josh, glad to have you. If you put your general location in your header you may be pleasantly surprised to discover how many IFI folk live within visiting distance.

Have you checked with steel suppliers in your area? You might check with manufacturers or repair shops who use tool steels. for instance, truck transmission drive line shops and conveyor belt shops use HC steels for much of their work and they may have drops you can buy for scrap prices.

Frosty The Lucky.

Im located in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of TX. Yeah, I didn't know where to begin, Im familiar with some of the online steel suppliers, but seems like even the mild steel they sell would cost 50 bucks per axe, which makes me want to scrounge junk yards honestly even if the metal isn't guaranteed to be anything exact. I know leaf springs and coil springs are commonly but not always HC steel, and Ive read axles are often MED carbon, seems the low carbon in chunks for axe billets minus the steel cutting edge are diff to find from auto parts, perhaps structural grade like A36 for just the body of an axe or adze type tool with leaf spring insert would work?
Any ideas are awesome!

thanks for the hints! now where would one get rail road tracks and spikes?

I found my track through a local gun forum, got about 8 ft of it. I dont know of any legal way to get them other than finding them on ebay, at a flea market, etc. I have probably 300-400 of them that Ive got from different people who have old retired railroads on their land. I would NOT suggest walking an active track as its dangerous and illegal and not worth getting hurt, killed, or jailed for a few spikes.

Scrapyard, fleamarket, junk store, yard sale, blacksmithing group meeting---there was a chunk in iron in the hat at Saturday's SWABA meeting. I was given several sections that were used as an old cattle guard. Seems like every time I visited this friend I'd take another piece home with me.