I Forge Iron

New c41 25 From massey forgings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN4CbKp9EfI&feature=youtu.be

:D looks nice and solid there Harry ! (hammer, not your xxxx for 45 seconds!)

You have worked out the 'throw under' catch for the foot lever ? you can adjust it via that bolt and locking nut to get the tup idling / swinging a bit at the top of the stroke.

This is one of only 3 of this type of hammer I am assembling. It has got a full 250 kg anvil resilently mounted in the base (a one piece, 2 piece hammer!).  I did these hammers as a trial, in my opinion way better than a 'standard' one piece hammer. They just take to long to build properly, so I cant do any more of them.

• 1 month later...

Why has'nt someone made wider dies for these hammers, that is one of my few dislikes for the anyang/striker I feel the dies are too narrow for any tooling work, etc swaging, punching.  The dies could be made as per Beche dies sort of rectangle but with the corners knocked off, so as to fit up into the bore of the hammer.  Just watching how close the top face edge of that top tool gets to the edge of that top block made me cringe.  I know how well hammers can fire top tools out once they get a glancing blow on the corner.  Just my thoughts.

Phil

Hi Phil, I agree the die shape is far from optimal. It looks even stranger on the big hammers made in china ! ( 20 cwt's with dies that look about 8" front to back) 

I have made a few sets of 'wide dies' for them, and was going to introduce it as standard on the hammers I was selling, but there was never enough hours in the day to implement it. It got to the point there was not enough hours to sell imported hammers at all !

Heres a 75 kg I did with wide dies. These are about as big as you can go before you have to snick the corners off the top block (ie, make it loosely octagonal)

Sorry for poor quality of video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MArnpt7eC1w

Yeh John the dies widths were something that put me off buying a large Chinese hammer, plus if I really wanted a big hammer I just could not have gone past a Massey, I went for a press any way, but from my way of looking you need at least 4 inch wide dies for 1cwt hammer if you want to use tooling under it.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...