I Forge Iron

Reil Burner Mig Tip Mounting

Vwzach182

Forgive me if this question has been asked before but I could not find the exact answer using the search feature.

I am buying a few parts in order to build a 3/4" tube Ron Reil style burner. I plan on installing a mig welder tip rather than drilling a hole in the 1/8 nipple. My question is whether I would be better off using a brass 1/8" nipple or black iron. I plan on drilling and tapping for the mig tip and I want to make sure that the brass nipple sidewall would be sturdy enough to tighten the tip in place. Ideally the tip would be removable/changeable, but I will most likely be brazing the tip in place as well or using sealant at a minimum.

Anyone have any pics of a mig tip installed in an open back type of burner? I really like the Anvilfire "Guru's burner" method of mounting but I really would like to have the option of using a choke plate.

One problem I ran into when tapping 1/8'' pipe for a mig tip (1/4'' x 28 I think) was that the pipe was too large to cut decent threads into it. I have a small spring swage I made for tennons so I inserted maybe 3/4'' of the pipe into the tool, gave it a few careful taps and it reduced it enough to cut good threads....A brass nipple with female threads to fit 1/8 pipe may well be simpler......I once tried to solder the mig tips into the pipe and it worked pretty good until I turned it off......The rising hot air melted the solder and it droped out.....The next time I went to light the forge it was burning a tad rich... :lol:

I imagine it would have been pretty rich haha, Thanks for the tips, I hear silver solder is a little better when it comes to resistance to heat as opposed to lead solder but I'm sure when the burner turns chimney the intense heat would melt any solder. That is good to know that the nipple inner diameter may need to be reduced slightly. I may end up building a burner with the tip mounted in the end of the nipple in the future, possibly some type of modified side arm burner such as the ones shown on the Zoeller page. For now I plan to start with a Reil style burner with a mig contact tip mounted in the sidewall of the 1/8 nipple aimed down the center of the reducing bell but I have not seen a single picture anywhere of the mounting style although I'm sure its been done before.

• 2 weeks later...

I've drilled and tapped black iron to recieve a .030 MIG nozzle for my venturi forges.  Worked find with a little pipe dope or teflon pape. 

I once made the mistake of trying to use a .030 MIG nozzle that had metric threads - which naturally leaked.  A little J-B Weld solved the problem, didn't need to braze or solder.

Here's a photo of the MIG tips on a 3/8" black iron (steel) plug

FinishedForge5.jpg

I had the same problem as Macbruce of getting the tip to stay in a black pipe. I finally found that the neck of a 257 Roberts rifle cartridge  case would serve as filler

in between the tip and a brass pipe for a pressed fit. I silver soldered it in for good measure. I've made 3 or 4 burners that way.

It's a little harder to find, but if you use schedule 80 1/8th inch black pipe, you can cut 1/4 inch threads that will hold fine.  I do like the idea of reducing the size of schedule 40 pipe by fullering or tapering, but be sure your work is good enough to have the mig tip pointing straight down the burner tube.

• 3 weeks later...

I found schedule 80 1/8" BP available at Fastenal. It was not a local store inventory item but was available through their distribution system and arrived in 3 or 4 days.  Just be aware it came 10 to the bag.

Didn't know about Fastenal, will have to check with the one close to me. Grainger also carries Schedule 80 1/8" black pipe nipples and was willing to sell me a quantity of one (I bought two).

Didn't know about Fastenal, will have to check with the one close to me. Grainger also carries Schedule 80 1/8" black pipe nipples and was willing to sell me a quantity of one (I bought two).

The last two nipples I bought from Grainger (1/8" 3 inch nipple) were too small to tap inside for a mig tip, so I have to drill them out a bit.  This was to replace the 1/8" nipples that had an inner diameter that was a tad too large for a good grip on the mig tip.  The hazards of using plumbing parts, I suppose.