I Forge Iron

Wrap welded knife

dancho

An archeologically correct replica of ancient russian knife blade with some modern Carpathian fantasies about the handle. The wrought iron core wrapped with 1 percent carbon steel for the edge. Pure forging to the final shape with light filing and hand polishing and sharpening on the water stone

post-12722-0-32576900-1353359120_thumb.j

Dancho, I really like this style of knife. I have some wrought iron and have been thinking about sandwiching some around some bandsaw blade I have. Is it difficult to weld? And at what temprature do you weld it at? The temprature for the wrought or the temprature for the bandsaw blade? Thats something I've often wondered about. Thank you for showing this, your craftsmanship is very good. I always enjoy your postings.

Dancho, I really like this style of knife. I have some wrought iron and have been thinking about sandwiching some around some bandsaw blade I have. Is it difficult to weld? And at what temprature do you weld it at? The temprature for the wrought or the temprature for the bandsaw blade? Thats something I've often wondered about. Thank you for showing this, your craftsmanship is very good. I always enjoy your postings.

Thank you Bryan!

I found so far two important things fro welding this type of work.

1. the best forge for this is char coal forge with side blast and ceramic side walls to give the well effect and spot fire. it is important to keep the metal high above the tyere hole still hot enough (reducing environment).
2. do not know what the tempereture . I control not by the colour but by the surface state -- it should get wet.

I have no experience with the band saw. I think - it is too thin. The peice of steel strip needs to be at least 3 mm thick to provide mass. Mine is 25 wide and 4 mm thick wrapped as a staple outside iron wedge 25 on 10 mm at base.

One of the methods used to classify medieval knives is how the high carbon and wrought iron are put together: butt, lap, interior HC, exterior HC, etc are all found in originals. As I recall "Knives and Scabbards, Museum of London" has a page on this classification.

As for welding; you don't want to take it up to wrought iron temps if you can avoid it. Actually it's possible to weld at room temperature if your pressure and or cleanliness is high enough! (cf galling and vacuum welding)

You can sometimes "cheat" and heat a higher carbon/alloy piece hotter then you might generally do it by shielding it in the stack so the outsides are of a more heat tolerant alloy like wrought iron. You do still run the risk of cottage cheesing it or getting spider web cracking if you take it too high.