I Forge Iron

Ring dogs, before there was the peavey.

Thanks ApprenticeMan. This one is not wrought, but I do have a ton of old wrought silo hoops laying around. The ring on this one is not welded very well, actually, it isn't welded at all. The new coal we have at the village, is more like dusty rocks, it doesn't weld at all. The first dog welded up well though. I like making welded rings. Maybe I'll go to the village tomorrow and make some!:D

Dave

I haven't used it much. I think it would grab most any sized log, although it may not work for really small logs, under 10" or so. I think the hook is pretty strong, but then again, the lever is only 64", it might not hold up to a six foot lever.

Dave

What size stock is the ring dog in the photo made from, what is the length of the dog and what is the diameter of the circle?

A 5 foot lever are could exert a lot of forge, and the strength of the materials and hook concerns me. I don't want to straighten it out with me on the wrong side of the log.

The ring is 4" and the hook is 10". I made it out of 1/2" mild rod. I think I would definately use a heavier rod for the hook, the ring should be fine as 1/2". I just went out and played with it on the log pile, and it easily grabbed a 10" log, and also a 36" log. I could feel the hook opening up a little when I rolled the big log. A modern peavey does not have this broad a range, usually they either work well on small logs or big logs, not both. I am going to make another beefier one next sunday. Only problem is I won't be able to weld it, the coal stinks at the shop. I have been buying coal from Aubachon Hardware, but I hate doing that when they are supposed to supply the coal. When I get a new one made I'll let you know how it turned out.

Here is a closer pic.

Dave

2414.attach

Blueprint BP0392 Log Hooks, J Hooks, and Log Dogs shows some log dogs which are used for pulling logs rather than turning logs.

I have broken the handles out of both my peaveys. Either they don't make wood like they used to, or I put a lot of load on the tool handles. The ring dog may be another way to get the job done.

No one should ever be on the "wrong side" of a log.If a log is moving in your direction,no matter what is making it move or how slowly it is moving,you are on the wrong side.
A lesson learned as a young hotshot,skidding with horses.I also learned to appreciate the value of a horse that works on voice commands.Kinda got swept off my feet and here I had thought I was a better dancer than that!:)

I could feel the hook opening a little when I tried to roll a 36"x10' pine log. It didn't distort, but I think it might if you had to really put some effort into it. I was just tryig to think what I had for round stock, and I know we have some coil spings hanging around that are definately over 1/2inch, and if I am going to use spring steel, I also have the option to temper it. Just an idea.

Dave

3 feet diameter x 10 feet long
A = 1/4 x pi x D squared = 7.068 x 10 feet long = 70.68 cubic feet

density of pine (Lange's handbook of chemistry) is 32 pounds/ cubic foot
70.68 x 32 = 2262 pounds. I will guess that this is for dry seasoned wood. Wet or fresh wood will weigh more.

A 3 foot diameter log is HUGE !! (for this area anyway)

I think a case of tunnel vision is at work here, spring steel is hard to get the right temper in and if it breaks at the wrong time, do we call the ambulance or the coroner.

Try thinking of the strength of a piece of 1/4 by 1 on edge strength wise compared to either a half inch or 3/4 round, which is harder to bend. The flat is a known value and easy to work, no tempering needed, high strength etc.

This little cant hook is only 32 inches long and the iron part is only 1/4 by 3/4 flat, but with a 6 ft long branch salvaged from the tree and roped to the lil handle with 3 guys on the extension it did not stretch bend or give.

Why did the old timers make theirs outa flat iron I wonder.

2436.attach

That makes sense, for a peavey, but the ring dog is different, and works differently, and better than a peavey. So I take it that I should just get a larger diameter mild steel rod?

The log weight calculator I used has this log at 70.68 cubic feet and 2554.48 pounds, green weight. I saw a lot of larger trees, sometimes we have to split them with the chainsaw to get them on the mill.

Dave

• 1 year later...