I Forge Iron

Inline treadle hammer plans??

Hey y'all,

I'm thinking of building a clay spencer desing inline treadle hammer for my shop ( I'm just about done with the tire hammer)
I found where ABANA sells the plans, but I'm not a member, so do I need to become a member to buy plans from them? I don't realy want to pay for a years membership just to get the plans.

Thanks,
Trip

Why not make a little trip up here and see/try a real inline treadle hammer, about 165# hammer wgt with 8" combo dies. :rolleyes:
Control smooth as silk with the kick of a mule if need be!
Stan
Sounds like your talking about a power hammer of some kind.

Check with the central office of ABANA to see if you have to be a member to purchase. If you just want to see one you could come see me. I'm about 100 miles away on the south end of Big South Fork. With membership you get 4 issues of the Anvil's Ring and 4 issues of the Hammer's Blow (th how to publication.) It is worth your $55.00 membership.

Sounds like your talking about a power hammer of some kind.

Only power needed is foot power. My 6-yr-old g'daughter use to smash 6 soda cans placed in standing 3 x 2 side by side formation, end result from 1 stomp of her little foot ended with all cans less than 1/8" thick.
I once demonstrated at Glenn's place in W. Va. (IFI founder/Admin) that if wanted 3 hits in same place could about vaporize hot 1/2"sq stock , or sit on a bar stool type chair and do fine copper/brass etc. chasing / repousse' with ease.
There are numerous control settings on unit to adjust the foot power to hammer blow delivered ratio and stroke length.
Did I mention I have a full machine shop, engineering degrees, and a lot of years of manufacturing experience? I know how to make things work better! B)
And NO I do not sell plans, but could not stop anyone from taking pictures and taking detailed measurements. :rolleyes:

Stan

Trip,

I was at Stan's (trying-it) summer hammer-in and the treadle was impressive to see. He designed it himself and it is really balanced. He is a great guy to talk to also. If you have the time and can get up to his place, he can show you a lot and would be worth you time and effort.

Brian Pierson

Trip, sounds like I need to come pick you up and we can then go on up to visit with Stan.
Better see about getting an invitation first.
He is in southern Illinois. About 250 miles from you.

Stop by and pick me up too, I'd like to test drive Stan's treadle hammer.