I Forge Iron

A remake?

Sure why not, this sculpture is a remake of an original fiberglass that lasted 15 years. Building this new one from 3/16" plate has been pretty straight forward, cut, shape and weld. Finally got my optical tracer up and running which was a big advantage. I laid out what sections I wanted, made a rubbing of the edge and then trace them on a new sheet of paper with a sharpie. The tracer does exactly that, follows any line you draw cutting the shape. I bought a small solenoid to control the plasma cutter automatically. Wow! this may open some doors... Most of the shapes I was able to roll but the front had a reverse curve and took a bit of time to figure. I made a sandwich die for the 100 ton press to give me a start then stretched the edges, again under the press. I may have to build me a hydraulic wheeling machine in the near future...

post-2769-0-51537800-1351882169_thumb.jp

post-2769-0-19125300-1351882189_thumb.jp

post-2769-0-94018600-1351882210_thumb.jp

post-2769-0-55071200-1351882228_thumb.jp

post-2769-0-64318200-1351882246_thumb.jp

post-2769-0-43100600-1351882266_thumb.jp

post-2769-0-16943900-1351882286_thumb.jp

That's darn impressive, I like the sound of the tracer- been thying to get that sort of thing since I saw rheis's set-up. Sadly the costs here are crazy, One can get a new pak100 plasma for about USD 2000.00 but the tracers are like double that!

I like your use of the old school optical tracer. I have a small cnc plasma and drawing on the computer gives me fits too. I went to a liquidation sale last year and seen one sell for scrap metal prices. Something else to think about. Your work is great too!

Nicely done Michael . . . looks great.

I'm thinking someone needs to start considering casting bronze. Those large scale reverse curves and compound negatives are a whole bunch easier in wax ^_^

Do you mind if I share these pics with the sculptor I work with? He'd love to see these shapes being done in iron. They're very similar to elements that he uses in some of his series.

Please post more as you go.

Nicely done Michael . . . looks great.

I'm thinking someone needs to start considering casting bronze. Those large scale reverse curves and compound negatives are a whole bunch easier in wax ^_^

Do you mind if I share these pics with the sculptor I work with? He'd love to see these shapes being done in iron. They're very similar to elements that he uses in some of his series.

Please post more as you go.

Share away! As a matter of fact I just started sculpting the figure in clay, broadening my senses...

Thanks Andrew, it is a commissioned work. I gave them a few options, cast a copy in bronze, fabricate a piece inspired by the original in bronze and replicate the original in steel close to the original as I can. I was hoping to build a Dillon but I'm appreciative for the work and I have learned a bit along the way. I am looking to do more sheet work and am stoked about my new tool. The new direction of cutting plate in house has inspired many ideas, preforming 2"-4" plate for forging has become ingrained on my brain :P :D B) :ph34r:

I could see that being used as a huge Blower set in a nice forge and build a fire in the center of it nice shape for a massive sculpture and a Blower for a forge that is just what i see . my mind works in odd ways though .

Sam

Hi Sam ,
Is that you in the "yowie suit" , what is the calibre of that possum gun? .308 '' or .50" cal
Andrew

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That's such a beautiful piece. You really had fun with manipulating perspective on this one... That swooping void in the center as well as the dished out circle really plays with the eyes... It would be awesome if you kept that dished out sphere roughed up as-is, and didn't blast it, because in that center photo it almost looks as if it's tangibly protruding as opposed to being a concave void.