I Forge Iron

Is Green a blacksmith color?

I've just picked up a Buffalo blower, Model no2E. It has a Buffalo Forge electric motor attached to it dated feb 13 1918.

Looks like It was last used around that time too. I decided to clean it up a bit. De-greased it and color came through. A brilliant green.
.....I've seen this green before. I have a never used 4" flatter that I cleaned to find the same color. The same story with some atha and random RR
hot cuts, hole punches. All the same color green?

Is this a historical thing I've missed? Most all of these items are 60+ years old. And I expect no one has just up and decided to color these in modern times.
(then used them to the point that the color faded)

Penny for your thoughts.

A thin black paint seems to have been the most common factory issue color on old tools, usually because it was cheap, and prevented rust before it got to the customer. On cast items, many times the raised letters were highlighted in gold or silver. Red and other base colors less common. Army green and battleship grey seem to have been mostly on military sales.

my edwards shear is a light blue was in the same blacksmith shop from new (1910) to when i got it out in 2012.
the old style little giants where green from the factory, the closest color Sid has found to original is shamerock green.

I was going to gut it and replace the brushes and bushings. Repaint it AND use it. I could care less about your patina.
I was told not to mess with that old of an electric motor.

Oil/grease it and put some power to it - might run just fine. In addition, most of these were designed to run with a potentiometer to provide some speed control. Straight power won't hurt it but the blast will be wide open...

I love you guys,

Its Data plate says

"Will work on either direct current or alternating current. 25-40-50-60 Cycles. Voltage same as rheostat which must always be used with motor"

Forgive the ignorance of someone my age, but does that mean that I could hook it up to my jeep that puts out 6v ?

I love you guys,

Its Data plate says

"Will work on either direct current or alternating current. 25-40-50-60 Cycles. Voltage same as rheostat which must always be used with motor"

Forgive the ignorance of someone my age, but does that mean that I could hook it up to my jeep that puts out 6v ?

No, it means you can drive it off 110v DC or AC (I'm assuming it's not 220v). There are still 110v DC sources out there - think Lincoln Electric SA-200 welders; the little 110v plug in the center of the panel is DC. Since the plate says to use a rheostat, you may want to find one and hook in-line to control the speed. The brushes allow it to vary speed with the potentiometer - a brushless motor is either on or off unless using a VFD.

Well, take it from someone who lives in flood country - if they advise evacuating, make sure you take off for higher ground. That equipment will dry out after being underwater - you won't. What would we ever do if Stewart wasn't around on IFI?

Seriously - take care of yourself - it ain't worth dying for.

Wow, do take care...If you need somewhere to store your anvils I'll take good care of them. ;)

on the other note. DARN!!! I was hoping to be able to do that. The only thing I've seen hooked up to dc like that now is a 100hp motor on 880v system.
I thought scene it was so old it might work out.