I Forge Iron

Mid-Atlantic smiths, are you ready for the big storm 2012?

Grundsau

Sandy is supposed to be heading into the Delmarva area and on into Pa.
Last year, Tropical Storm Lee caused us a lot of headaches with flooding and am not looking forward to Sandy.
Our smithy was flooded by our usually tiny creek and will start putting important stuff up on tables this Sunday afternoon.
We are stocked up like every winter (we often lose electric) and the generator is ready.

The bright side to all this is that I'll get to rent a backhoe again and spend time running it during cleanup.

Allen

Oh yeah- we got the makin's for french toast- state law says we need to buy bread, milk and eggs, so we're set. Got beer, gas for the genny to keep the beer cold. Got the anvil tied down. No flooding issues here, so I'm just hunkered down.

Steve

Living on a hill tends to keep us away from flooding issues. While driving might be a problem, we should do OK even in the unlikely event that we have to live in the 19th century for a few days. Keep in mind that olive oil, peanut oil, etc can be used in antique type wick lamps if you run out of kerosene-based "lamp oil".

Hey Stewart, we were supposed to have high winds and rain last night.
Not too much happened and nothing happening right now.

I've got our beehives ratchet strapped together and they are in a somewhat protected area.
Only had one fire dept call so far and that was last night to assist with clearing the discharge pipe on an old dam that isn't being used anymore.

We have taken a beating on the outerbanks but will as always rebuild the roads. Still nasty out with high wind and surf advisories out until tomorrow. New Jersey will take a royal beating. Thanks for all the prayers offered up so far.

post-14490-0-30890300-1351543287_thumb.j
Highway 12 in Kitty Hawk once again yields to the sea. I inspected the installation of those sandbags 4ft x 20ft several times over the last 10 years.

post-14490-0-00224000-1351543348_thumb.j
The HMS Bounty, 180 ft, 16 POB sank off of Cape Hatteras this morning. The US Coast Guard has rescued 14 and are still searching for 2. Pray for them and their families please.

While we have lose roads, houses and property, this storm is not done yet. Those in its path seek shelter and if told to evacuate DO SO!

Mark <><

yeah its coming my way, they have wave warning up for the great lakes. lake Huron has 25' wave height warning north of Port Huron.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/greatlakes/?c=map&l=lh&p=a&m=wh
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/flash-wv.html

I stayed up most of the night and the wind blew through here like a blizzard on steroids.
We ended up being in a protected spot but the areas around us didn't do so well.
Fortunately Sandy stayed a bit further south of our area.
Lost electric for a short time and internet was off since last night.

Rainfall wasn't excessive and our creek stayed within its banks.

Anyone wanna buy a used bathysphere cheap?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally back to semi normal in central NJ. Lost power for 9 1/2 days, then on for 3 hours, then off for another day. We lost many big and small trees. Luckily, nothing hit any structure, although many came close. I spent last weekend cutting up oak, and today cleaning up the backyard of spruces and cedars that snapped under the 12" of wet snow on Wednesday night. I have lots more cleaning and cutting to do. This will be a task for many months.

All in all, we did fair much better than the coast. Amazing to see open spaces where grand houses stood; and absolutely no trace that there ever was a house there. My school did shut for three days. In my home town, the school have been closed for two weeks. Most hope to open on Monday. It was a mess. My road had at least 4 trees blocking the road.