I Forge Iron

Russian battle axe

A replica of ancient russian battle axe 13-14 century AD
Weight 400 g
Main body of iron. The edge is split welded with 1 % carbon steel . The eye is formed by splitting and widening on the drift. Self-wedged handle
Pure forging. No grinding was used during the making process.

post-12722-0-78495800-1351093772_thumb.j

post-12722-0-32922600-1351093803_thumb.j

Light and *fast* the hallmark of a good medieval impact weapon!

Was the "iron" wrought iron or just mild steel?

I would say this one is quite heavy as for the battle axe. Most of them were 300-400 g (at least in our neighbourhood)
"Officially" this is mild steel but I do not prefer the classfication since "steel" for me is something that takes hardening and this material definetely doesn't. Everything below is iron -- I stick to the traditional clasiffication

Here in the USA; few people have actually seen originals and so base their work on what they have seen in movies or on badly made replicas by others. So I have seen 10kg "battle axes" that people claim were *real* *accurate* ones.

In the Carpathian mountains where I live the culture of a combat axe stayed as late as the beginning of 20th century and even still a light axe on long (up to 1 meter) handle is an ethnic symbol.

Again, a beautiful axe. I looked up grams to lbs. and 400 grams is a little under 1 pound so relatively small.
I made a small axe head that I put on a long shaft like a "ciupaga" or "foco" or "shepherds axe". I was walking in my woods and wanted an 8 foot section of a downed birch tree. It was about 5 in. diameter and I was surprised how well the small axe worked. If I get some time tomorrow, I may make another just for fun. Thanks for sending the pictures. I really like your work!

Did you start with a bar about 1in square? What is the diameter of the eye-about 1.25in.?

Again, a beautiful axe. I looked up grams to lbs. and 400 grams is a little under 1 pound so relatively small.
I made a small axe head that I put on a long shaft like a "ciupaga" or "foco" or "shepherds axe". I was walking in my woods and wanted an 8 foot section of a downed birch tree. It was about 5 in. diameter and I was surprised how well the small axe worked. If I get some time tomorrow, I may make another just for fun. Thanks for sending the pictures. I really like your work!

Did you start with a bar about 1in square? What is the diameter of the eye-about 1.25in.?

Thank you!

Yes these small axes are extremely effective on long handles.

The sizes you have mentioned are about correct. However the authentic eyes are often smaller and only 1 inch.