I Forge Iron

Shooting anvils

That was old footage. A well known person in the blacksmith community used to shoot at every event until the world anvil shoot a few years ago and it went off too soon and it cost him part of one hand.

I saw a number of anvil shoots about 15 years ago at meetings of one of the chapters in the midwest. I'll freely admit that they are really cool. One of the meetings took place in the winter on a well below zero day. They did the anvil shoot in a field and i'll bet that the xxxx thing went up 50 0r 60 feet! Thing is that when it came down it struck the bottom anvil and the horn of the shot anvil broke off. No big deal though, it sailed well above the crowd and landed in the parking lot right between a brand new doolie crew cab ram and a recently rebuilt 50's chevy pickup. Good thing it decided to land there though cause it could have done some bloody murder if it decided to take a different path.
Not saying you shouldn't shoot an anvil, just sayin that i understand why it doesn't happen too much at group meetings any more.

How about this. Instead of destroying historic useful tools, donate them to blacksmithing schools so when a student completes a acceptable amount of courses they get an anvil to practice what they learned. Not only would this save anvils it would help budding smiths and keep alive this awesome craft we all enjoy.

As someone who has some expertise in explosives from my time in the military and in mining the idea of shooting anvils gets into my probably not area. I might watch someone else from a distance but the chances of something going bad seems too high to me. Also, I'm with the folk above who consider this anvil abuse. The ones in the video didn't seem that bad.

Also, someone with that many anvils who isn't using them is closely approaching the definition of a hoarder and may have OCD issues. I would like to go to his estate sale though.

Shooting anvils does have a long tradition though. There are accounts of the immigrants on the Oregon Trail in the 1840s shooting an anvil to celebrate the 4th of July. If I had hauled an anvil 800 miles in a wagon I don't think I would be very keen about shooting it into the air and risking it being damaged.

Grounded,
George M.

There is a scene in the western movie Shane starring Alan Ladd where they shoot the anvil that is historically accurate. Anvils were traditionally shot for holidays, etc. They usually didn't go much more than a few inches high. Mainly done just to make some noise.

If anyone goes to the 40th ABANA anniversary at Westfield, GA next Spring, look out front of the shop at the 2 anvils they have there. They usually shoot them on the 4th of July a few times. They don't use much black power. Just enough for a good bang.