Melchior

Damascus Bottle Opener

Hello, I just finished a bottle opener in damascus. Thought I would share it. I am satisfied with how it turned out. Going to give it to a friend tomorrow when we are going to a beer festival here in Stockholm.
mHg36.jpg

ocbgq.jpg

fXS2i.jpg

Lovely---hope it doesn't disappear at the festival!

You might think of putting a lanyard hole in the handle in and getting one of the keyring belt retractors
like this for your next one---and as pretty as that one is you will probably get a bunch of requests for more of them!

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/KEYBAK-Key-Reel-6YLN9

I will consider one of those keyring belt retractors, it is a great idea. But then I need to make the bottle opener a bit smaller, this is as large as a hand. :)

My friend will probably protect it with his life. ;)

You did mention beer did you not? I've had friend misplace cars, houses and spouses when beer was involved.

Sorry about the scale of the piece mixup. I'm generally making my bottle openers to fit on a belt or in a pocket or even on a king ring as the "fob"

That's a really nice looking piece and I'm sure your friend will treasure it, I know I would if it were given to me.
Thomas' comments have weight, beer can/will do those things to a person, and a beer festival? Man, anything goes.
Perhaps a hole in the end of the handle and a leather thong and hang it around his neck, to down near the waistline? Still useable and not easily misplaced/stolen.

Just find some anchor chain and strap it to that. Nice work Melchoir. Looks like what you have is a light defensive weapon that opens bottles. :P

nice one, love it!  :D

I also made one, some time ago.

But not so cool, and a little bit smaller!

Prost  :)

That is a handsome piece of work! Yes, it needs a lanyard of some sort. Beer festival, folk have been known to wake up decorated in ink in another country's navy when beer is involved.

Yes, I think you have a very marketable item there.

Frosty The Lucky.

sweet and special ! he will love it ! :) very cool.....

Very nice!! There's nothing any better than a hand crafted bottler opener opening a home brewed beer. Cheers!

Beautifully executed and lovely proportions.  Your friend is a very lucky person to be receiving this piece of art...good luck at the beer festival... Our annual beer featival opened yesterday and I will be going a bit later today ;>)

Best Regards,

Preston

Thanks everyone. I punched and drifted the hole, first with a punch and then with the horn of the anvil. Need to keep it really hot all the time so it will not break.

Very cool bottle opener and you say that it's large as a hand, so it might come in handy if the need arrives...A great gift for a friend indeed.

Very cool bottle opener for sure, it looks very well made.  I wouldn't put a lanyard on something that beautiful, I would build a quick draw leather belt holster for it and if you're really paranoid about it going missing make a piece at the top with a strip of leather and a button to go through the eye of the opener kinda like how cops keep their guns secure :D

Fastest opener in the west :P

i like making large bottle openers, I tell people that they are so that when you are a few deep, you can still get the leverage you need