I Forge Iron

Metals used in rings (class rings)

I am currently a junior and am looking at class rings for next year. I would love to be able to go for something that isn't exactly common, such as gold, silver, or other similar metals that are typical for class rings. Does anyone know of other metals used in class rings? If you know of someone or some place that works with different metals for those, please let me know.

Class rings are normally made by specific companies such as Johnson's
Contact them and see what is offered
Ask someone at the school to see where they order you schools's rings from.
Mokume rings are nice but may not be offered as a class ring as they are ussually cast

If I disremember correctly when my bought his class ring eight years ago the salesman told me that the ring was if they could put a karat stamp on it would be around 5K or so. Anything below 10K can't be stamped as gold in the USA but I think in the UK you can go as low a 9K, that's a lot of copper and a few other metals to gold ratio. We could have ordered a higher karat gold ring, platinum, silver, white gold or one other metal that I forget right now. Just as well we didn't spend a lot of money, he lost it a month after graduation. We even paid extra for a synthetic emerald instead of green glass. It was a nice gesture of his mother to spring for the ring though.

• 3 months later...

:Josten's was the big name in class rings when I was in high school. I think they still may be... Just for giggles:  I graduated in 73 and class rings were in the 10k range (at least that is what is stamped in mine) and I had to buy my replacement because I also lost mine very soon after getting the one my folks paid dearly for. $35 IIRC :D

• 4 months later...

Use a quarter or a dollar coin and make your class ring.  Just get a coin with the year you are graduating on it.  For the cost of a mandrel, some math (to find center on the coin) and a nylon mallet you can make the coin into a ring that still has the writing on it. 

B6AD51B0-1369-4DF3-8E1D-42313D10665F-246

9D4947EB-6DB1-470B-929F-3D2CBC7FB58F-246

Easy Peasy