I Forge Iron

Bill

macbruce

(unfinished)8.5''x10.5''x1/2'' relief x16ga steel, done with the you know what.....

This is my Brother in Law Bill who is undergoing cemo at present among other unpleasant trials and when I looked at this picture of him I didn't see a diminished spirit, rather dignity and grace.

I'm fairly pleased with the progress but the neck just ain't right imo. I dunno at this point should I carry on or stop.....Thanks,MB

post-15096-0-45724600-1348429881_thumb.j

post-15096-0-72016200-1348429918_thumb.j

I am really jealous of your skills...you have an artistic eye that we all can be envious of. I can make a face, but not one that looks like someone I know ! I made one based on the measurements of my own face, but I don't think it looks like me, but other people do

Nice work Bruce I think its up to you to decide when your finished or not. I find when I get into a peice there are places where you can stop and places where you need to keep going you are at one of those junctures it really depends on whay you want to say. You may have a nitch there your face in iron for $995.99

I am really jealous of your skills...you have an artistic eye that we all can be envious of. I can make a face, but not one that looks like someone I know ! I made one based on the measurements of my own face, but I don't think it looks like me, but other people do

doh

If it weren't for Picasa (and the zip) I could never pull this off. I have the advantage of an applied direct image taken from life at the git go so it's likely gonna be recognizable no matter how abstract I get....within reason. The nuances are the bugger..........Almost done

Don't overwork it!

Far better to do another than to mess up a "good one".

Oh I hear you, Bill is showing up in the flesh today (he's doing ok) so I'm gonna take a good look at him before the final tweak. I didn't save an original of his picture when I changed it in Picasa so important details are missing eg; I have no idea what his shirt actually looked like cause that detail is missing and the waddles in his neck....He'd probly just as soon I smoothed them out anyhow...... <_<

Delivered....For better or worse........I can critique myself, right? Not much can be done about the missing collar on the T shirt now and I think the neck looks better in reverse as far as anatomy but I'm finding the learning curve steep on this anatomy stuff but I like a challenge. Bill was tickled to death with the unexpected gift and seemed to lift his spirit, then it was home for a nap.....He's such a good man.

post-15096-0-40072900-1348579110_thumb.j

post-15096-0-21563900-1348579156_thumb.j

post-15096-0-18111400-1348579360_thumb.j

Delivered....For better or worse........I can critique myself, right? Not much can be done about the missing collar on the T shirt now and I think the neck looks better in reverse as far as anatomy but I'm finding the learning curve steep on this anatomy stuff but I like a challenge. Bill was tickled to death with the unexpected gift and seemed to lift his spirit, then it was home for a nap.....He's such a good man.

Hi Mac, Nice job, we can always critique ourselves and thats how we improve.
With regard to the anatomy reference its like we have to learn to look and understand what we are looking at all anew when doing repousee work, I try to think of the subject as a contour map, as an example, eyes, they actually come out from beneath overhanging brows, whilst the eyelids are set back (if that makes sense), and cheeks are usually in front of the eyes

I think the problem you have is with the neck area being in front of or level with the vest, if you raised the vest profile slightly it would appear to push the neck further back.

This is where a few classes in life drawing prove very useful as you start to look at light and shade and how contours are reponsible for this effect.

Its a great piece with the bonus that Bill was tickled, Priceless, Good luck to you both,

Thanks all, On my next face I'm going to 18-20 ga material. The 16ga just makes it too hard to get the little stuff even though I use repousse tools and a .410 pistol grip hammer for those hard to get places like the nostrils and around the eyes, ears. Every machine has it's limatations. Although some things can be pushed back the other way after a mistake, planing ahead is key. Think I'll try a pair of hands next......Bronze would be fun and allot easier to straiten up after..........

• 4 weeks later...