I Forge Iron

how much air to forge

Azur Jahić

One of Weygers' books - I can't remember which one.

I bought this book, no wonder looking for an electronic copy was not working.
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Modern-Blacksmith-Alexander-Weygers/dp/0898158966
The scope of this book is significant, so some topics are not covered in high detail. I recommend trying to borrow a copy from a library before purchasing.

Page 99 of "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" which is a collection of all Weygers' blacksmiting books, or it is in "The Modern Blacksmith" if your copies are separate.

Weygers description is

I made my forge from a coffee can with an opening cut in the side and air holes punched in the bottom. This I attached to the lower end of a 12 foot long, 5 inch diameter steel irrigation pipe, given to me by a farmer friend. I hung it from a tree branch, and the draft up the pipe fanned the charcoal fire in the can, giving me my forging heat.

With this setup, I forged the little tools which made it possible for me to do the sculpture carving and the engraving on wood shown in the photographs on page 180

The picture on the page of the description shows a very small setup, describes using a buldozer part as an anvil, that his charcoal was made by closing coals from his fireplace in an airtight can, and that he used removable pins to attach the can to the chimney. The chimney was held in the tree by cords, and fastened to the ground by cords and stakes to prevent movement.

The pictures on 180-181 show some life-size wood and stone sculpures. The tools depicted are hand held, about 1 inch ball handles, 4 inch total lenght, made from stock of about 1/4 to 1/2 inch diameter.

So while using a chimney draft to power a forge can be done, it would seem that small stock and projects is what it is best suited for, and possibly all it is suited for.

Phil

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's it, thanks for clearing it up for me. Found it at local library. I need to go back and read it again see if I still view it in the same light these days. I was recalling my thoughts on the idea, between the ash, and the moisture content and the time it takes for the wood to cook and controlling the atmosphere.. it's very difficult to forge with wood even with a supply of charcoal to help out.