I Forge Iron

Swage Blocks, what do you use yours for, and how often?

John B

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone try a J Newman trunion-mounted swage block? The pics look wonderful and it seems to have all the different points that I would be interested in. And, it's definitely unique.

The only thing I would like to see is a spoon/bowl/shovel depression. But, major points for thinking outside the box. Don't see them for sale anywhere....

rotating_blcok_34_580.jpg

The pictured block is not one of mine. My trunnion block has a couple of spoons and bowls. I don't have pictures of my trunnion block on this computer apart from as part of a brochure that is a pdf. You could look on the website that has a flaming anvil they have a swage block page which has a picture. I am not selling the trunnion blocks right now I had to switch foundries for them and the cost went up high enough that they became hard to sell. The last batch I bought I sat on 3 of them for 2-3 years.

Gents,

Something I see more in demand of late is a striking block, a simple swage of sorts. The big swage blocks are good to have in the shop but they aren't always used, they take up space and they aren't cheap if you can find one. Using your working anvils for heavy striking has its obvious pitfalls. I have seen a lot of PW anvils in the 130 # range with broken heels, likely the result of heavy forging gone astray. Must really make for a bad day when that happens.

The New England Blacksmiths had a production run of striking blocks made that sit atop your anvil center of mass and can be effectively secured via a strongback, chain and threaded rod arrangement. They have two hardy holes. A very simple, effective, and economic solution that can be readily integrated into almost any shop. I picked one up from Bob Menard, he organized the production and did the distribution for the NEBA out of his shop in Portland. Many thanks to Bob for thinking up and supplying us with a very effective tooling solution. I use this block all the time, I keep it on a spare anvil along with a cone. I can move it around the shop where and when it is needed and it works great. Photos attached for your review.

Peter

post-3252-0-14563900-1352486032_thumb.jp

post-3252-0-46333000-1352486050_thumb.jp

post-3252-0-88299500-1352486063_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all.
I wish I had a swage with dish/spoon depressions, and all my holes are too big for what i do, but I bought mine because of all the edge groves, one side hex, one round, one a 90deg vee and one a 60 deg vee. I use it mainly to hold stock for chiseling round stock, chiseling on edge of square, turning square to triangle, round to hex, etc.