I Forge Iron

Swage Blocks, what do you use yours for, and how often?

John B

A recent post about purchasing swage blocks has prompted this question.

Many people desire or lust after swage blocks, but in reality, how often do you use yours if you have one?

And for the benefit of others, when and how do you use them?

Or does it just lie dormant in the forge waiting for a job to come along where it is the only tool that will do the job you have taken on?

I rarely use mine and it sits most of the time. In fact, about all I use on it are the spoon forms; the rest of the shapes are better suited to single use tools. For example, the half rounds are not relieved so it's easier to make a dedicated round swage if that's what I need at the time. I think the traditional blocks are better utilized in shops employing strikers and having top tools; one man shops have to invent methods to use them effectively.

I've got two swage blocks now, the spoon/ladle block that Giles on here had made and a 14" traditional style one. Giles' block gets used occasionally for spoons and odd curves on things like adze and gouges, but I used to use the other block for those (the new one is just a bit better for them, since it is purpose built). The traditional block gets used quite a lot. I use it when making axes, hammers and anything else that requires punchiing and drifting hole too large/funny shaped for my anvil, I use it for forging the curves in gouges, bending metal into certain curves or V occasionally, starting sockets, for upsetting the end of bars, etc. Mostly it is used to hold other anvil tools that don't fit my anvil and I haven't got around to resizing yet. Or as a table for flux/lube/coffee

I wondered about how much use I would get from it too, but since having it I don't think I could do without now. I have a whole bunch of swages that fit in the anvil too but often I use the swage block instead because it is more stable and I can leave the anvil clear of the obstruction (or have a second tool in the hardy)

I have two, one traditional with the variously shaped holes, and a smaller, solid one with circular and spoon depressions. I also use the small one for occasional jump upsetting. The older, traditional block is not used much. It awaits large slot punching and drifting when the hardy hole is too small.

All the time..We have three, a salt fork craftsman block that sees a lot of use during craft season, a centaur forge yater copy and a traditional industrial block..Since we make so many axes the industrial block gets used pretty much every day..
100_6838.jpg

When I was actively forging I loved my block for punching holes, dang, it was sure handy for up sizing holes. I also liked using the half round swages to form bells, so handy for that. No, I didn't use it every day but when you needed it you really needed it and not much of anything else would get the job done, all that mass was great to work over, it stayed put just like an anvil with lots of useful holes in it. Wonderful when you're there in the shop by yourself.

I have an old Lancaster swage block and use it when I need it. I use it for sharpening shoulders on bottom tools, forming hollows, bowls, spoons, etc. Punching, drifting, slotting, etc. The half rounds are dandy for forming more tubular shapes or turning coils. I haven't used the hex halves but the V comes in handy for making anvil devils. I have an engine hoist I got yard saling I move it or turn it with, it's around 200lbs or so.

I may not use it a lot but when I need it it's a major time/effort saver.

Frosty The Lucky.

I found one while staying on the small island of La Maddalena in Italy. It was a big one and in great condition. It was being used to fill a hole in the back yard wall of the house I was staying in! I think I could have found a better use for it.
Dan

I have 3 one small one I use for demo's and spoon ladle shaping on. I have a really old one with a couple of through holes and the normal edge shapes and a yater with the big curve on one side that tapers across the block. I use them all the time and I have paid for the yater with one customer where I do bent grass stems in different lengths. The old one has been used to drift I don't know how many haer/axe/handles tool eyes. Once you have one and learn to use it you can't be without. I also do a lot of forge welding of round shapes in teh old one.

Just for kicks, take a look at this block matcless is selling..Ive drooled all over my keyboard..Know I couldent move it but i dont care..I love it..Its just beautiful.
http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

Sale ended price was $1800 and reserve not met. My personal opinon is, while I'm very certain he is a nice guy, he wants too much for his equipment. I'm not a collector, its going to get used and abused. But, to each their own.

I have a big German one with about a 40 holes of various shapes and sizes. Lots of very small circular holes, it's 5"X20" square, so a pretty decent sized one.

I could not get away without it, I use it almost on a daily basis. Upsetting, drifting, straightening, "swaging" Of half rounds and triangles, dishing into the holes, forming tubes and cylindrical shapes, not to mention bending large diameter stock. I realize this sounds like a textbook answer of the uses for a block, but I couldnt get away without it. It becomes twice as useful when I have a striker.

Aaron

It all depends on what you are doing: some shops may seldom need one others use it on a daily basis.

You may note that a lot of the posts mention using it as a bolster plate rather than using the edges for forming.

I made up some bottom swages for my big anvil to curl rasptlesnakes in as it was faster and easier to do that than to go to the swageblock.

A lot of people use the depression(s) in a block for sinking, but I have a number of various sized and depth'd tools made from gas bottles and lifting eyes and tow rings---handy as they fit under the screw press as well as on a stump or as hardy tooling.

My suggestion is to buy one if you can find it cheap; but wait on spending big bucks on one---*unless* you start doing a lot of something where the convenience of a block would cover the cost pretty quickly.

Thomas of course is correct in that there are a lot of other items that can be used instead of an old industrial swage block that is getting to be in the stratosphere price wise and not only that as the population of smiths increase they are going to be rarer in proportion to the number folk wanting one. I visited one shop where the smith did almost all his sinking for bowls, ladles and such into a stump and it was evident that when one became a little too burned he just started on another. I'm finding that in working with copper a shallow depression cut into the end of large branch works well for sinking as well a metal one would and is a lot cheaper. I have found that for copper green wood works well but for hot iron perhaps well seasoned wood is better. I think a visit to a well stocked salvage yard could yield a good many items to use in lieu of a swage block at somewhat of a lower cost.

Bentiron
You are right a stump works well. I do use stumps I have one in my shop at all times. But a swage block is more effieient. and yes you can find items at the salvage yard that will do the same but not usually all of the things that a swage block will do. I have some curved drops that are great for making large radiuses.
I still say if you can afford one a swage block is the best investment. If you cant them make do however you can.
Yesterday I used both the swage block and the stump. Swage to rough shape some spoons and stump to finish them and make them purty.

Thanks to all who have repiled so far, it has proved informative and hopefully anyone thinking of purchasing a swage block can make a better informed decision on whether it is the right thing (or block) for them to purchase/obtain, it has also give some idea as to where they are particularly useful in todays blacksmithing tasks.

Ha! Francis I had to laugh, I use mine that way all the time and it hadn't even occurred to me that I did. I also use it to hold pieces when I am forging a bunch of the same thing I can lay them on it and keep count. O have one that basically sits dead center in front of the forge evenly spaced between the two shop anvils.

I have a small craft type block- about 60 pounds I suppose. I use it quite a bit but there are tools I use more of course. The spoon type depressions are always useful. Also the larger ones for heading rivets. Small rivets get done in the bucking block I got from Blacksmiths depot. If I have a lot of rivets, though, I use the swage block. For what they cost I think they are a good investment. www.incandescent-iron.com is where I got mine.